Need help with a new fermentation chamber project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_buster

Reaction score
So, I just recently came into a super old stand up deep freeze that is in incredible condition but the shelves do not come out. It seems that they are actually what cools the freezer down. I guess the Freon goes through the shelves themselves and they are all connected to one another and the compressor/pump? I am completely ignorant when it comes to cooling systems and I was wondering if this is even able to be converted into a fermentation chamber. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for phone quality.
http://imgur.com/a/txFHZ

I'm fairly sure that's a major issue for a fermentation chamber. If you use a bunch of Mr. Beer LBK's that fit on the shelf's, that might work. Otherwise, I don't think those can be easily moved or bypassed without risk of ruining the cooling capability.

Maybe others can comment on success and technique but I'd look for a frost free version with no coolant lines in the shelf's.

I'm fairly sure that's a major issue for a fermentation chamber. If you use a bunch of Mr. Beer LBK's that fit on the shelf's, that might work. Otherwise, I don't think those can be easily moved or bypassed without risk of ruining the cooling capability.

That's what I was afraid of. I may have access to some old Freon that may have been used in this system. If I could be walked through trimming the bottom two shelves out so I could fix a carboy in the bottom then refill the system, Id be happy. But thanks for your input.

Back