Need help sourcing control panel parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisfromAbby

Reaction score
If anyone has specific experience putting a control panel together, I'd appreciate the help! I'm trying to partially automate my single tier propane HERMS brewstand. I'm in the process of adding a gas valve to my HLT. I already have 2 pumps and two digital flow meters that I've been using for the past while. It's time to straighten up and organize all the controls and switches - it's already a little ugly and with the valves, transformers and controller on the way it's time to step up!

Let me state right up front, I am an unrepentant bottom feeder. I love to re-use and re-purpose stuff. Hell, my brewstand cost me only $3 in bedframes and a $40 arc welder from a garage sale! So the idea of dropping $1500 - or more - on a commercially made brew controller is right out of the picture. But I'm not opposed to picking up a few new parts here and there.

I determined that I first need an enclosure. A 10"x12" ought to do it. But that's not too hard on ebay. But again if someone has experience with a particular item and or a source...

I went looking for bus bars today - no luck in HD or the specialty commercial electronics store. I just want a block connector where I can bring in my hot 110v and then branch off to the various switches - sort of what is inside a typical home breaker panel, but with only about 8 terminals. The stuff I found on ebay seemed for 12v automotive or RV use, making me not confident it'd be safe. I'll likewise need another bus for the neutral wires.

Will also need some buttons and switches. A nice big kill switch and a smaller start button for sure. A few toggles for the pumps and transformers too.

Chris

Depends what your end goals are I suppose. Need to figure out how many PIDS you are going to have, if you want to add switches for things like choosing between the PID controlling your burner, or you controlling the burner (so, a 3 way "HOA" switch), do you want an alarm, lights when certain things turn on, a way to turn pumps on and off, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is some of the panel will be 120v (most really) and some will be 24v. Shouldn't really matter for the switches, but the lights are rated either or.

Todd

Radio Shack stocks barrier strips (aka bus bars) and jumpers.
Otherwise, these Amazon ones are decent.

Barrier Strip:
http://www.amazon.com/Position-Double-Terminal-Covered-Barrier/dp/B005I03WOI

Jumpers:
http://www.amazon.com/URBEST-Postions-Insulated-Terminal-Barrier/dp/B00NVG78ZK

Amazon also carries a variety of 22mm switches and buttons that work well for control panels. I would suggest if you go with them that you invest in a 1/2" conduit punch (which is actually 7/8") though as it'll make your life MUCH easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pics of a control panel that I just finished building yesterday. Using the parts from amazon except for the temp controllers.

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

krazydave,

That is almost exactly what I want to do! If you were able to provide a parts list, I'd be very grateful.

I'm planning on using just one STC 1000 controller since I'm only controlling the HLT burner. I've been using a thermoworks thermometer for my mashtun, but may have to eventually incorporate some temperature probes with feeds back to the control panel and relays to control the pump or some solenoids - but that is way in the future.

Chris

Back