Need help redeeming my barleywine batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
I took a kit from NB, tried a mini-mash with some extra pale malt and special B, but somehow screwed it up (target OG went from 1.084 to achieved 1.07, in part due to accidentally making it 6 gallons) I would just add some dry hops but don't think it's got the bitterness to support it, and the special B is out of place. Suggestions?

malts, etc
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
85% 12 0 Amber Malt Extract Syrup 36 10
7% 1 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1
3% 0 8 Belgian Special B 30 220
3% 0 8 Belgian CaraVienne 34 22
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Yeast: 1056

Color
21° SRM
(Brown to Dark Brown)

time oz variety form aa
60 2.25 Cascade pellet 6.3
15 1.0 Willamette pellet 4.6
0-5 0.25 Cascade pellet 6.6
Avg boil volume: 3.0 gallons

Boil a small batch, like a half gallon, but heavily hop it to get your batch back into specs when you blend the two together.

Interesting... I've never thought about blending two different batches before. Thanks for the idea.

Incidentally, I split the batch into two different fermenting buckets (hoping to avoid another blowoff) after aerating and pitching and while the one is bubbling along, the other isn't showing activity. Everything else being equal, what could cause this?

you could have dumped all the yeast into one bucket since you'd pitched already before splitting. Had to used a starter or a packet of dry yeast?

I did two liquid packets, and then aerated by transfering (dumping) from bucket to bucket... since it's relatively early, guess I'll just reblend.

Update: the second bucket is now humming along as well. Weird.

Latest posts

Back