Need help on xmas ale and using honey as primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpup506

Reaction score
I brewed a Xmas ale and moved to my secondary. Used wyeast 1028 at OG .018. This is an extract recipe/special grains. I added cinnamon and ginger at 10 min of boil and honey as well. When I tested after getting my reading I wanted a little more honey and cinnamon flavor. I made a tincture with cinnamon and vodka to add to secondary 3 days from bottling (planning on bottling Labor Day) if I use honey as a primer will it add hopefully more honey flavor? And if so what amount would you recommend? I’ve always used corn sugar in past. ‘‘This is my 4th brew and last extract I’m thinking so trying to get the most out of it.

Ps... I’m at 4 gal for batch I’m thinking 1 cup honey to 16oz water

I dont know how much honey flavor it will add but if you look at a priming calculator like the one on Northerbrewer they suggest 5.2 oz or .43 cups @70 degrees for a volume of 2.8 . Dont know what volume your wanting but check out those calculators, they are very helpful. Good luck

I used brew blogger for that wanted 2.5ish but my basement (brewery lol) is around 60-64 degrees

If I were you, I would just add the tincture at bottling. Why open the fermenter one more time and risk exposure to oxygen or microbes? Take a small sample from the fermenter immediately prior to transfer, and determine how much tincture in your sample. Scale up and then add to the bottling bucket along with priming honey.

By the way, I use honey for priming sugar for wits to get that little bit of honey flavor and aroma. I find it works well. And NB's priming calculator is an excellent tool for all sorts of priming sugars.

If I were you, I would just add the tincture at bottling. Why open the fermenter one more time and risk exposure to oxygen or microbes? Take a small sample from the fermenter immediately prior to transfer, and determine how much tincture in your sample. Scale up and then add to the bottling bucket along with priming honey.

By the way, I use honey for priming sugar for wits to get that little bit of honey flavor and aroma. I find it works well. And NB's priming calculator is an excellent tool for all sorts of priming sugars.

Thanks, I have a bigmouth bubbler with spout so I can taste test anytime luckily. I’ll start using NBs calculators moving forward

Next time throw a little honey malt into the specialty grains. A little goes a long way with that stuff and will add sweet honey flavor.
I love honey but it's almost 100% fermentable so you wont get much flavor out of it in beer. There's a good write up about using maple syrup from BYO about adding it at several different stages. Maple syrup and honey are pretty similar so check it out!
https://byo.com/article/maple-beer/

Back