Need help for selecting English Pale Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knew2Brew

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone Diamond Bear's Pale Ale. I'm not a big Pale Ale fan, but I really like this particular one so I'm trying to clone it. Their website lists SG as 13.4 plato, which I found is 1.055 SG. They list ABV @ 6.2% so that would correspond with a FG of 1.008. That would be 85% apparent attenuation.

I can't think of what yeast that would be and certainly would think it to be an English Ale yeast....maybe some type of American Ale yeast?

However, most of the reviews comment on the fruity esters, which I agree with and that would suggest English Ale yeast.

Any suggestions as to what this yeast may be?

Beer info can be found here:
http://www.diamondbear.com/the-beer/pale-ale/

wlp007 or wy1335. both are english yeasts wlp007 claims it can get up to 80% attenuation and wy1335 claims it can get up to 76%. I would go with wlp007 because it states it has the same flavor profile as their other english just more attenuative. you could also just mash lower to get a lower FG, for my pales (americans) i usually mash around 152 and finish down around 1.012 - 1.014.

I had WLP006 drop a beer from 1.083 to 1.012, so if you wait until July, that's another option. It's fruitier than 007, but much less flocculative. Of course, not all 1.055 worts are created equal. One that's light on caramel malts, mashed low and includes some sugar would be very fermentable by almost any yeast.

Latest posts

Back