Need help for fast, forced CO2 carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briano

Reaction score
I made 2, 5 gallon batches of beer I want to carbonate them in a 24-48 hour period(for a party)I have a 5lb.Co2 bottle,regulator and manifold.Can it be done???

Sure can, although the results may be mixed.

Check out the shake method for force carbing. YouTube has some videos on it if you do a search.

I've also found that shaking at the desired PSI level is the best way to avoid over carbonating your beer.

Good luck

If you chill both kegs to your desired temp, look on the temperature/psi/volumes of co2 chart and select your psi and shake for 5 minutes. It should get it fully carbed and also not overcarbed. Then let it sit on gas overnight before you serve.

I wouldn't shake! If you have 48 hours you could do what I often do when I need a beer ready sooner rather than later.

First, make sure the kegs are kept at 40 degrees. Then put the gas on them at 30 psi for 36 hours. Don't shake, wiggle, or move them, as the sediment will fall out while they carb. After 36 hours at 40 degrees and 30 psi, purge and reset to 12 psi. Pour about 3 ounces out of each (it'll be yeasty sludge). Check the carb level. It should be pretty good, but if it's undercarbed you can go back up to 30 psi for another 8 hours or so. Then purge again, and reset to 12 psi. I promise this will work, with no shaking or foaming keg.

If you only have 24 hours, though, you'd have to follow jrem's advice and shake at 12 psi (or whatever your pressure should be for the temperature). The key would be to make sure the kegs are cold and not warm when you start, though.

I wouldn't shake! If you have 48 hours you could do what I often do when I need a beer ready sooner rather than later.

First, make sure the kegs are kept at 40 degrees. Then put the gas on them at 30 psi for 36 hours. Don't shake, wiggle, or move them, as the sediment will fall out while they carb. After 36 hours at 40 degrees and 30 psi, purge and reset to 12 psi. Pour about 3 ounces out of each (it'll be yeasty sludge). Check the carb level. It should be pretty good, but if it's undercarbed you can go back up to 30 psi for another 8 hours or so. Then purge again, and reset to 12 psi. I promise this will work, with no shaking or foaming keg.

If you only have 24 hours, though, you'd have to follow jrem's advice and shake at 12 psi (or whatever your pressure should be for the temperature). The key would be to make sure the kegs are cold and not warm when you start, though.

I would concur with Yooper. My exact method as well. Works everytime.

Back