Need help for control box setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
I just decided to upgrade my system to 240v and realized it is going to be much more work then I thought. I have looked through several builds and cant find anything that will really work. I was using a Johnson A-419 for my HERMS but I think I want to go to a PID (seems a lot simpler)

I have a 240v 30a supply (3/1 10gauge). I have 240v 4500w elements in my HLT and BK (wont be run at the same time). I also have two pumps (110v) that I would like to power.

The one thing I can not figure out is how to regulate the element on the BK so I can control the boil.

Would someone be able to throw together or recommend a wiring diagram for me?

Also, any recommendations on where to buy the components?
Thanks guys!

A PID with manual mode like the Auber 2352 will allow you to modulate the heat to the BK by setting it as a percentage. E.g., 70% would have the PID rapidly switching on and off, with it on 70% of the time.

Check out www.theelectricbrewery.com, for an extremely thorough pictorial how-to on building a 30amp, 240V, 3 vessel HERMS system.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Im looking at the website now and it shoud do the trick. Thanks!

You could definitely do it with one of the auber pids. One can be used to control the exact temp in the herms and then can be switched to manual for the boil. I am using 2 in my build but you can easily get away with just one and then save a good bit of money

Back