Need Help Expanding a Wine Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum as well. . .

Here's the deal:
I have two small wine fridges that I've used for fermenting chambers and/or cold storage. Each will hold one better bottle or two corny kegs.

I'd like to expand one of the fridges to hold either two carboys, four cornies, or perhaps a sanke keg for fermentation, and I'm in need of ideas.

I'm thinking about putting a collar on it. The space is exactly 12" deep, so I'd need to add another 10 or 12 inches of depth to get two better bottles in there. If I ferment in a sanke, I'd only need to add about 4-6". However, I'd also have to acquire a sanke! They've been hard to find thus far.

I'm not sure how to get a collar to attach to the front of a wine fridge, hold it in place, support the collar off the floor, etc. I need ideas!!

Let's talk limitations. I DO NOT have:
-Space for a bigger fridge
-Space for a chest freezer
-Additional space to build a big "fermenter box"
-A ton of $$$$ to spend on this.
-A lot of tools (I have a circular saw and a jig saw)

I will add that it doesn't really matter if it looks good.

Give me your ideas! Show me what you got!!

i would try something like this (except to front mount the door):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-88554/

use foam board as insulation (usually runs about $26 for a 4x8 sheet) and plywood. you would want a good box cutter or better to cut the foam.

good luck!

edit: beat me to it!

That could work well as is!! Side door mounting never occurred to me in the configuration my fridge is in! Could be a possibility!

Back