Need help diagnosing plastic flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishboyman

Reaction score
I need help diagnosing an off flavor we have had a few times now. We have brewed about 15 batches without any problems on this system since last summer. 5 gallon batches, 10 gallon stainless pot, 5 gal cooler HLT, 10 gal cooler mash tun. We fly sparge over the course of about 45 min for most beers. We use a chugger pump for water transfers and for cooling through a Duda Diesel plate chiller. We cool from boiling to 60 degrees in about 15 min. We use city water but run through a RV charcoal filter and trickle fill our water. I also add 1/2 campden tablet to the water before heating just in case. We also ferment in corny kegs.

We brewed an IPA around 2/18 in freezing weather. We had a lot of issues to the point that everything froze and we had to pull out the old coil chiller. Fermented fine, around 65 degrees. Went to dry hop and took a sample. Strong taste of plastic/band aid. Dry hopped anyway and let it sit. As of a week ago, still band aid. We chalked it up to the freezing temperatures, maybe the water filter freezing. We thought somehow unfiltered water made its way into the pot/fermentor.

Brewed a Porter around 3/4, same exact taste in it. This time we used our normal process and was not expecting to taste that again.

I tore everything apart, gave it a good clean, scrub and boil. Replaced what I could for rubber pieces and boiled the rest for 15 min. I also purchased a new water filter, thinking the freezing may have cracked something inside.

Brewed 2 beers afterwards, one on Saturday night 4/8 and 4/9 during the day. The 4/8 beer was a Black Lager and it fermented in the fridge around 53 degrees. The 4/9 beer was a Cream Ale and fermented around 64 degrees.

Grabbed readings on both last night to check fermentation and the lager has the plastic flavor but the cream ale does not. I am thoroughly confused on this. It has to be something in our process I'm not taking into account but I am at a loss. Help me please!

Before you tear everything apart looking for a cause change the water you use for the next brew to RO from the store. Your brewing water is the simplest change to make for troubleshooting an off flavor.

"Plastic" flavor most often comes from chlorine in the water. It's called "chlorophenols" and can resemble medicine (like chloraseptic), cloves, or a strong band-aid/plastic taste.

It can also come from garden hose water, from absorbing that garden hose 'stuff', and comes though in the flavor of the beer.

It can come from infection, but that's far less common.

Rochester, NY weather on
04/06: 0.5" rain
04/07: 0.25" rain
04/08: no rain
04/09: no rain

Rain means higher pH and as water levels rise, more bacteria in the reservoir. Both reasons for the city to add more chlorine.

Latest posts

Back