Need help clarifying cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
Hi all!

I used a juicer 3 weeks ago to process apples for making hard cider. Along with the juice was a lot of sloppy apple gunk, which was just dumped in the 5 gallon carboy too because I didn't have a strainer. The yeast did it's thing but I'm left with a cakey, gunky layer on top, then the cloudy cider, then the layer of sediment on the bottom. The yeast stopped bubbling a week ago. The gunky layer on top hasn't settled. The cider in the middle remains really cloudy.

My question is should I risk a second ferment to clarify the cider by siphoning just the cloudy cider? What are the risks? Should i just bottle it? What would you do at this point to clarify the cider? I know I know. I'm a total noob.

Try some pectinase (pectic enzyme). It can break up the pectin and help clarify that cloudiness that is typical of freshly juiced/pressed must. Typically people use it prior to fermentation, adding it to the must for 24 to 48 hours prior to adding yeast.

You can siphon from under the cake on top.

I don't think secondary is a risk with cider at all. Most cider makers use at least a secondary fermentation/aging vessel (some tertiary or quaternary). You want to minimize headspace in your secondary vessel (ideally a glass carboy/jug - liquid up to the neck of the bottle).

If you have stuff floating on top, I would skim it off with a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Then rack (siphon) the cloudy cider into a new jug and add some pectic enzyme to help that clear.

Thanks for your help guys. I will get some pectin and give it a whirl!

Thanks for your help guys. I will get some pectin and give it a whirl!

Ah, make sure you get pectinase (or pectic enzyme)!

Pectin is the stuff you want to break down in the cider with the enzyme. They sell pectin for jam/jelly makers, but you don't want that.

Back