Need help asap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhead22

Reaction score
I'm all set up and ready to go. Here is my recipe. A friend of mine gave it to me but is a little busy today to help.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
5 gallon recipe
OG 1.052-1.054
FG 1.012
IBU 13
ABV 5.2

Perhaps one of the best hefes on the market, this clone is pretty damn close as long as you have temperature control on the mashing
Ingredients
7lb German Wheat Malt(1.5-2L)
2.75 lb German Pilsner Malt
4 oz Belgian aromatic malt (20-26L) gives a distinct maltiness
2oz acid malt (1.7-2.8L)
1lb Rice or Oat Hulls
1oz German Hallertau Hersbrucker 3%AA (3HBU 2.4HBU is preferred)
¼ oz Spalt apx 3.6AA can substitute with Czech saaz
1/4oz Perle apx6.8AA can substitute with Northern Brewer
1 tsp irish moss
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat 68-72 deg
-or- Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan weizen 68-72 deg
Mash ALL grains and and rice/oat hulls
150 degrees for 90 minutes then remove spent grains
I would recommend a sparge of 1 gallon 150 deg water over the spent grains into the wort
Add 2.4HBU (hallertau) once brought to a boil and boil for 45 minutes
Add Spalt and Perle and boil additional 15 minutes
Crash cool the wort, it must be below 70 degrees to pitch the yeast

Primary fermentation is 7-8 days, secondary up to 3 weeks depending on how clear you want it
If you bottle it, prime at 70 degrees for 3 weeks to carbonate
Flavor will peak between 1 and 3 months.

This will make apx 5 gallons, but don’t force it. Make sure you SG is on and let the volume be what it is. I have had 4.75-5.25 gallons depending on the efficiency of the mash and the quality of the grains.

------

Doing 1.25 quarts per pound I'm coming up with like 3.5 gallons. Also what temp do I get tk strike water to hit my target mash temp?

this will make apx 5 gallons, but don’t force it. Make sure you SG is on and let the volume be what it is. I have had 4.75-5.25 gallons depending on the efficiency of the mash and the quality of the grains.

Never heard this advice before. Use a calculator to determine temps, amounts, etc.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

I'd say for the grain bill you'd want about 3 gallons strike water and I batch sparge so my batch sparge is 1.40 gallons then 3.23 gallons making total water about 7.5 gallons. My target for my profile is 6.46 gallons pre boil. I do a light body mash so the temp is 148 for the strike water (heat it to 156 and your target mash temp is 148) then sparge water is 168.

Note that this is pretty tailored to light body, batch sparge. Also the volumes are tailored to my equipment. But go with the 1.25 quarts per pound at 148 degrees so heat to 156, like I wrote, and then sparge at 168.

I took these numbers from a hefe recipe I have.

Back