Need help adding wine to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
Just added 2 750ml bottles of 12.5% sauvignon blanc to my neipa during active fermentation. It originally had an og of 1.071. How will this affect og and final alcohol calculation? Thanks for any help

yeast and gallons? those are really required to give anything close to an estimate.

if Conan? figuring a 1.009 you should be at 8.14%
if 5 gallons, which with a NEIPA, your trub is going to bring it down, or it'll be a 5.5-6 gallon batch.
but 5 gallon ball park, 8.25% total

^not really accurate

You have to account for the alcohol in the wine, the damage to your yeast from the wine sulphates (if any) and alcohol, and the extra volume, and any residual sugars in the wine. There's really no way to know how much your fermentation may be inhibited from adding that much wine so early in the process, so it's anybody's guess where it will finish out.

Thanks guys, Ive made this recipe before and I didn't find the sulfates to affect fermentation albeit I have never added this early in the process. Yeast is Conan. Batch is about 20.8L + 1.5L in wine, or about 5.9gallons. I used this much because this is about the amount of wine you would get if you fermented 6lbs of wine grapes. I know that if I start at 1.071 and finish out at 1.009 Id have about a 8.14% IPA. However, I would think this number would increase being that the wine is 12.5% + residual sugars.

If I take into account that the wine is about 7% and assume the beer will finish out at 1.009. Does this math look correct? I end up with 8.44% which is pretty close to the 8.5% I was aiming for. (trillium dialed in clone)

(8.14 x .93) + (12.5 x .07)= 8.445% abv

That is a valid concern. I usually add it at kegging but wanting to minimize oxidation I added it during the first round of dry hops this time.

So it finished at 1.012

20170630_163908.jpg

Back