NEED HELP! 3 different thermometers are telling me really different temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doign an AG right now and i have thee theremometers on hand (1 digital and 2 not). The digital is telling me its 175, the dial one is telling me 160, and the other one is telling me 150. The 150 thermometer is the bayou classic one that came with the burner and the digital is a farberware. Which one do i believe???

analog is the opposite of digital/electric.... You adjust the thermometer that came with the bayou classic by turning the nut in the bag of the thermometer.

Calibrating a Thermometer

There are two ways to check the accuracy of a food thermometer. One method uses ice water, the other uses boiling water. Many food thermometers have a calibration nut under the dial that can be adjusted. Check the package for instructions.
Ice Water Method

calibrate_cold.gif
To use the ice water method, fill a large glass with finely crushed ice. Add clean tap water to the top of the ice and stir well. Immerse the food thermometer stem a minimum of 2 inches into the mixture, touching neither the sides nor the bottom of the glass. Wait a minimum of 30 seconds before adjusting. (For ease in handling, the stem of the food thermometer can be placed through the clip section of the stem sheath and, holding the sheath horizontally, lowered into the water.) Without removing the stem from the ice, hold the adjusting nut under the head of the thermometer with a suitable tool and turn the head so the pointer reads 32 °F.

Boiling Water Method

calibrate_hot.gif
To use the boiling water method, bring a pot of clean tap water to a full rolling boil. Immerse the stem of a food thermometer in boiling water a minimum of 2 inches and wait at least 30 seconds. (For ease in handling, the stem of the food thermometer can be placed through the clip section of the stem sheath and, holding the sheath horizontally, lowered into the boiling water.) Without removing the stem from the pan, hold the adjusting nut under the head of the food thermometer with a suitable tool and turn the head so the thermometer reads 212 °F.
For true accuracy, distilled water must be used and the atmospheric pressure must be one atmosphere (29.921 inches of mercury). A consumer using tap water in unknown atmospheric conditions would probably not measure water boiling at 212 °F. Most likely it would boil at least 2 °F, and perhaps as much as 5 °F, lower. Remember that water boils at a lower temperature in a high altitude area. Check with the local Cooperative Extension Service or Health Department for the exact temperature of boiling water.
Even if the food thermometer cannot be calibrated, it should still be checked for accuracy using either method. Any inaccuracies can be taken into consideration when using the food thermometer, or the food thermometer can be replaced. For example, water boils at 212 °F. If the food thermometer reads 214 °F in boiling water, it is reading 2 degrees too high. Therefore 2 degrees must be subtracted from the temperature displayed when taking a reading in food to find out the true temperature. In another example, for safety, ground beef patties must reach 160 °F. If the thermometer is reading 2 degrees too high, 2 degrees would be added to the desired temperature, meaning hamburger patties must be cooked to 162 °F.

Sweet! I have been nominated for induction to the WIKI?

I cannot take credit for the information, nor the pictures. I can however take the credit for the copying and pasting prowess.

Ok...i did the boiling watr test. I couldn't really decide when to say the water had started boiling. But when what i would call a light boil started i stuck it in and it was 213 and then after it had been boiling for 7 minutes it was at 225. I was probably boiling 1 1/2 quarts. I think i am good to go

Realistically, a "light boil" is more like 180. A real boil is a rolling boil [large bubbles flowing in a steady stream from the bottom to the top]

Realistically, a "light boil" is more like 180. A real boil is a rolling boil [large bubbles flowing in a steady stream from the bottom to the top]

According to science...te boiling point of water is 212 farenheit. The boiling point is defined as to generate bubles of vapor but we arn't here to argue about what is boiling and what is not. We will just have to see later is i get a good conversion. :mug:

I'm thinking that something might be awry with the boiling calibration method.

I seem to remember from my sixth grade science class that water boils at 212 degrees F when "AT SEA LEVEL"!

Of course, that was a long time ago, and maybe I'm thinking of a different measurement, or maybe things have changed since.

But, when using a pressure cooker, the readings have to be adjusted to accomodate for the altitude of the pressure cooker.

So, if you happen to be calibrating your thermometers on a beach, please disregard this post.

Pogo

I'm thinking that something might be awry with the boiling calibration method.

I seem to remember from my sixth grade science class that water boils at 212 degrees F when "AT SEA LEVEL"!

Of course, that was a long time ago, and maybe I'm thinking of a different measurement, or maybe things have changed since.

But, when using a pressure cooker, the readings have to be adjusted to accomodate for the altitude of the pressure cooker.

So, if you happen to be calibrating your thermometers on a beach, please disregard this post.

Pogo

yeah i was reading that it was only 212 under certain conditions. This is killing me...im going to go take a tour of a brewery and ask this frustrating question and see how they calibrate :rockin:

According to science...te boiling point of water is 212 farenheit. The boiling point is defined as to generate bubles of vapor but we arn't here to argue about what is boiling and what is not. We will just have to see later is i get a good conversion. :mug:
It is true that the boiling point of water is 212, but when you say light boil, it's not actually boiling. Let me say that again. Light boil is not actually boiling.

It is true that the boiling point of water is 212, but when you say light boil, it's not actually boiling. Let me say that again. Light boil is not actually boiling.

When i meant light boil I ment that it was boiling..but not a hard boil. Let me say that again. When i meant light boil I ment that it was boiling..but not a hard boil.

fat x nub,

You said your thermo read up to 225 after sitting in the boil? You know that means its way off, right? Doesn't matter how long water is boiling, it is only a liquid up to 212 (at 1 ATM).

That always tells us your "light boil" couldn't have possibly been a true boil.

I'm pretty positive you can "superheat" water just like you can "supercool" it. I personally wouldn't use the boiling method to calibrate. Atmospheric pressure varies even at a given altitude. A cup of ice water, preferably distilled, doesn't have this problem. Fill a cup with ice, then just enough water to fill the gaps. The liquid will be within a half degree of freezing.

Edit: Although superheating water is possible (microwaving a glass of water is the method ive heard of), I think its much much more likely youre reading of 125 was just inaccurate.

Hey fat x,

I recommend a lab type liquid-in-glass type thermometer at least for quick comparison to your others. I bought one from McMaster for 13 bucks plus shipping. It reads 210-211 in boiling water which is most likely right on for elevation. It also reads 32 in a ice water slurry.

part no: 6182K11 at mcmaster.com
There are also armored versions if you want something more durable for 30 dollars
part no: 6182K24

Shipping is likely about 5 dollars and you usually get it next day.

i will defiantly get one of those...this brew has been giving me so much trouble. The carboy cap i was sold isn't air tight in my better bottle so i just had to cover my carboy with tinfoil until tomorrow when my LHBS opens :(. It has been exposed to oxygen so much already and i wouldn't be surprised if it gt infected with all the dirty water that fell in there

I'm pretty positive you can "superheat" water just like you can "supercool" it. I personally wouldn't use the boiling method to calibrate. Atmospheric pressure varies even at a given altitude. A cup of ice water, preferably distilled, doesn't have this problem. Fill a cup with ice, then just enough water to fill the gaps. The liquid will be within a half degree of freezing.

Edit: Although superheating water is possible (microwaving a glass of water is the method ive heard of), I think its much much more likely youre reading of 125 was just inaccurate.

Water reaches 100C and that's as hot as it's going to get. After all the water changes to steam then the steam temp will rise but not the (liquid) water.

I saw an experiment where they heated pure, distilled water in a microwave to its boiling point but it didn't boil because there was no particulate matter in the water to cause the boiling. Once you stick a fork or something into this water it explodes at once and can burn you. Pretty cool!

I calibrate by 50/50 ice and water. Ice and water will coexist at exactly 0 degrees celcius forever.

Back