Need Hel with Gravity Brew Stand Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a gravity fed 3 tier brew stand and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you folks can help with.

I was planning to reuse my BG10 burner/stand to heat up the lowest level of the stand, but I was convinced (in another thread) not to bother and to just go with two BG14 burners for the HLT and boil Kettle burners. Can both burners share one 30 PSI regulator? Its not likely that they'd both be lite at the same time, but its possible I guess.

Should I use the 12" diameter wind/heat shields that I see on many of the factory made burners? If so does anyone know where I can find them? I have now easy way of making them myself.

To help with the space, I was planning to build a simple 4 post frame out of angle iron for the HLT sit on (18" x18" about 55" high). I was thinking of adding one two fold out shelves. I'd use one for the mash tun to sit on and the other as work surface for misc "stuff". Then I'd either have the boil kettle sit on burner build into the bottom of stand or I'd use a free standing one along side. My concern is that it may be tippy. I see that many of the brew stands have very wide bottoms, which I'm sure is for stability. Has anyone seen a brew stand with fold out shelves? My thinking is the shelves might help steady the whole thing. Thoughts?

Thanks

Wrt to running a pair of BG-14s on a single 0-30 psi regulator, no problem, though you'll want to put at least shut-off valves in front of each burner.
And you'll likely run both burners at the same time - you can start heating first runnings while sparging your MLT.

As for the stand, that's out of my element - both of the stands I've built were single-tier designs where it's hard to screw things up ;)

That said, you have to be cautious about assuming a fold-out will help stabilize the stand, because, for instance, that HLT will start empty, get filled, and be emptied again. Pretty much the opposite of a stable counterweight. Same applies to the other vessels as well...

Cheers!

I had not thought too much about the plumbing just yet, but I'll make sure that each burner has a valve. You are also dead on about using both burners at the same time. I guess I was still thinking like a one burner system, like I have now.

As for the fold down tables I was planning to add fold down legs as well. My thought was that the fold down tables would give the stand a wider footprint when in use. When not in use I'd fold up the tables and store it in the corner of the garage. That said I may just may make it wide enough to handle the mash 'tun too. Nothing is set in stone until I start welding!

I have one more question about 3 tier brew stands. Since I use a cooler style mask tun I'm wondering if it gets too hot because its near the HLT burner. Is that an issue? Has anyone ever had a heat issue with thier plastic cooler?

Latest posts

Back