Need hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I thought I might be able to get some last minute help before i purchase.

I'm going with Austin HomeBrew Supply to try a new e-tailer. Here's my Q . .

The Liquid extracts for this are different, what do you think . .

1.) The wheat extract is a blend of 40% wheat malt and 60% 2-row barley.
- Will this work for your reciepe?
2.) Our extra pale extract has an EBC rating of approximately 2.5 (1.25 lovibond).
- I don't know if this will work. It is described as an EXTRA pale ale extract. . .

That's it :) Thank you.

You are kind of limited in the extract world here. Hefe are made with pils and wheat. The normal wheat extracts use pale 2 row.

I made a hefe using the exact same recipe above except I added some carapils to help with head retention.

Extremely yummy.

Technically your making an american wheat with hefe yeast.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I thought I might be able to get some last minute help before i purchase.

I'm going with Austin HomeBrew Supply to try a new e-tailer. Here's my Q . .

The Liquid extracts for this are different, what do you think . .

1.) The wheat extract is a blend of 40% wheat malt and 60% 2-row barley.
- Will this work for your reciepe?
2.) Our extra pale extract has an EBC rating of approximately 2.5 (1.25 lovibond).
- I don't know if this will work. It is described as an EXTRA pale ale extract. . .

That's it :) Thank you.

I would recommend just buying their Belgian White kit. It has all the ingredients you need and makes a fantastic beer. I've made it four times. It is one of their most popular kits.

Eric

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! Got the supplies now(big thanks to RebelBrewer.com, amazing service.) and it is ON for superbowl sunday. Making beer, grilling meat and drinking a keg of APA before watching some football. Does life get any better?:rockin:

Are you looking for a traditional German Hefe, like a Weihenstephaner? I can hook you up.

4.25 Pale Liquid Extract
3.75 Wheat Liquid Extract
1.00 oz. Hallertau @ 60 min
White Labs WLP300

Why the dual Liquid extract?

I have always just used 5-6 pounds Wheat LME.

Interesting...

And WLP380 is yummy too. A bit more clove. I thought the WLP300 had too much banana!

Patrick

new to brewing and thinking about doing a wit as my second batch... I downloaded the trial version of beersmith and the style notes say that wits are "fragile and tend to not age well"... anyone had that experience?

new to brewing and thinking about doing a wit as my second batch... I downloaded the trial version of beersmith and the style notes say that wits are "fragile and tend to not age well"... anyone had that experience?

Yes, that is true. Wits do not age well. I have never outlasted a keg of wit myself, but I have had that experience with commercial examples and I have heard that from other homebrewers. It makes sense sense because when the beer is fresh, the spices are fantastic. Those spices will fade in 3-4 months. Also, wheat malt doesn't hold up well over time either. Combine the two and you get a "fragile" beer.

Eric

Back