Need hbt help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
As it is 34 degrees in Dallas, I doughed in 5 degrees or so above my expected mash temp of 154, and just checked mash temps 45 minutes into the mash and it is 161 degrees. What should I do, is it okay to mash another 60 minutes or so at target temp of 154ish to get full extraction? Or should I get more grain and try this again tomorrow?

As it is 34 degrees in Dallas, I doughed in 5 degrees or so above my expected mash temp of 154, and just checked mash temps 45 minutes into the mash and it is 161 degrees. What should I do, is it okay to mash another 60 minutes or so at target temp of 154ish to get full extraction? Or should I get more grain and try this again tomorrow?

At 161 your mash is probably already done after 45 minutes. Lowering the temperature won't really change much at this point.

I would go ahead and finish the batch, and take good tasting notes.

Nope, just stir, stir, stir and check temp again. You might have just hit a warm spot.

I would just stir to try and get the temp down but what is done is done. You will still have conversion it just might be a heavier beer than you wanted. What are you brewing? I would just roll with it. Get some gravity readings to see if you hit your numbers.

As I feared, conversion goes one way, huh? Not possible to reduce temps and extract more?

Decided to forge ahead. For what it's worth the color looks good and I hit 80% efficiency, I'll report back on the outcome. Would the raised temperature affect efficiency?

I wouldn't worry about tannins. The temperature won't really have an impact on efficiency. What it will have an impact on is the body and the fermentability of the wort. You'll probably end up at a higher FG.

Back