Need gypsum for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Here is an analysis of my well water:

Alkalinity as CaCO3 43
Arsenic <0.001
Barium <0.1
Cadmium <0.001
Calcium 9.3
Chloride IC 5
Chromium <0.01
Copper 0.25
Fluoride <0.20
Hardness as CaCO3 (Ca,Mg) 38
Iron <0.10
Lead <0.005
Magnesium 3.6
Manganese <0.03
Mercury <0.0005
pH 6.2
Selenium <0.005
Silver <0.05
Zinc <0.05

When I make English Bitter, I just add a tsp of gypsum to 5 gall.

My next brews will be a Wheat beer and then a Stout.

Do I need to add anything?

Cheers!

first off, I'm no expert here - I've just started thinking about water chemistry. I haven't adjusted anything yet, but I am starting to understand generally what to do.

from a quick glance I assume your residual alkalinity is pretty low (looks similar to my water profile - very soft). If that's the case a stout will benefit from getting that up some - otherwise your beer could end up with too low a pH and end up having a too sour afternote to it. Mash efficiency could be low too. I'm not sure about the wheat beer though - not a style I brew.

John Palmer's "How to Brew" is a great resource if you want to delve more into adjusting your water - How to Brew - By John Palmer - Understanding the Mash pH

his residual alkilinity spreadsheet is also helpful (once you figure it out) - http://howtobrew.com/section3/Palmers_Mash_RA_ver2d.xls

JLem,

Thanks for the post. And the links!

I especially like that nomograph - still, it looks like a job for a six pack. I'll give it a try tonight.

Meantimes, Palmer does not appear to address wheat beers so I'm still wondering if I should make any additions to the water. Anybody got a suggestion?

Cheers!

JLem,

Thanks for the post. And the links!

I especially like that nomograph - still, it looks like a job for a six pack. I'll give it a try tonight.

Meantimes, Palmer does not appear to address wheat beers so I'm still wondering if I should make any additions to the water. Anybody got a suggestion?

Cheers!

As far as wheat beers go I neither drink them or brew them but any beer should have have some calcium in the mash IMO and your water is extremely low in that department. For a lightly hopped beer like the typical wheat I would add calcium chloride to get your Ca+ up to 50-75 ppm.

OK, here's what I've got planned for a 5 gall batch:
adding 0.5g MgSO4 - this bring up the Mg slightly without too much SO4
adding 3.0g CaCO3 - this bring up the Ca to spec

adding CaSO4 would give too high a level of SO4
adding CaCl2 would give too high a level of Cl

Have I got that right?

We do have some white chalk for chalkboards but it is made in China so I won't be putting that in my beer. Looks like a trip to the LHBS.

Then again, I'm thinking of leaving out the Epsom Salts altogether because it adds SO4 that you do not want -Munich water only has 10ppm of SO4. Is Mg needed?

Cheers!

Back