Need for a welding forum.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
With all the metal fabrication going on in HBT it seems like a Welding or Metal Fabrication forum is needed.

What does everyone think?

It would be great to be able to go straight to the subject without having to wade through all the other DYI stuff being talked about.

I guess this thread could be a petition.

With all the metal fabrication going on in HBT it seems like a Welding or Metal Fabrication forum is needed.

What does everyone think?

It would be great to be able to go straight to the subject without having to wade through all the other DYI stuff being talked about.

I guess this thread could be a petition.

I agree, that would be great to have a Welding and Fabrication area

I disagree. I like coming here and reading all the diy stuff without having to go to several different sub forums.

I vote for a welding sticky or sub forum in the DIY section. That way its all there but you can click specifically on welding and get all the info instead of having to search thru dozens of DIY threads. Kind of like the beginning section has stickies on the top.

I've said it before, there's no need to ask for subforums on the main section, when ANYONE can start their own Homebrewtalk Groups. They operate just like the rest of the forum, except they don't show up in the new threads section, but if you select it, they will show up in your user's cp, and you have to publicise them yourselves (usually start by creating an announcent in that section of the forum, and putting the link in your sig lines.)

The Michigan Masher's is the largest subgroup on here, and really active. And we built it up ourselves. Like whenever someone comes on from michigan and creates an intro thread we invite them to join. We have a ton of threads on there, do group buys and get together on occasion.

Whenever someone makes a forum request and I mention this, noone seems to take the initiative.....

*shrug*

I agree with keeping it general DITY. We don't need another speific forum IMO. HBT is turning from a Homebrewing forum to a "Come Here for Forums" forum. :D The groups are the way to go.

I've said it before, there's no need to ask for subforums on the main section, when ANYONE can start their own Homebrewtalk Groups. They operate just like the rest of the forum, except they don't show up in the new threads section, but if you select it, they will show up in your user's cp, and you have to publicise them yourselves (usually start by creating an announcent in that section of the forum, and putting the link in your sig lines.)

The Michigan Masher's is the largest subgroup on here, and really active. And we built it up ourselves. Like whenever someone comes on from michigan and creates an intro thread we invite them to join. We have a ton of threads on there, do group buys and get together on occasion.

Whenever someone makes a forum request and I mention this, noone seems to take the initiative.....

*shrug*

Yeah, but then those of us interested in general DIY will still have to go to two places to read about all the cool DIY projects. I understand the desire to specialize but in general it detracts from the whole, ie whole > sum(parts). It makes sense to me for things geographically related, like organizing grain buys and local events to segment it out to only those interested but I'd like to see things of general interest remain together. Otherwise we end up with groups for welders and groups for temp controllers and groups for wood brew stands ...

Yeah, but then those of us interested in general DIY will still have to go to two places to read about all the cool DIY projects. I understand the desire to specialize but in general it detracts from the whole, ie whole > sum(parts). It makes sense to me for things geographically related, like organizing grain buys and local events to segment it out to only those interested but I'd like to see things of general interest remain together. Otherwise we end up with groups for welders and groups for temp controllers and groups for wood brew stands ...

SO what, those of us interested in Michigan Specific Brewing, or the Grateful dead or the "going pro" brewers or all the hundreds of other sub groups on there manage to figure it out and push the appropriate buttons, I would think a bunch of DIYer or especially folks who can mamage to weld, could click on a link to...

If we all can manage it why can't you? ;)

Let's see. The mashers has, 486 members, 295 threads, & 2,497 messages including group buys and meets and helping each other out. INCLUDING at least one "hey can anyone weld this for me thread? And people seem to wander over there all the time....

I just said, if you want a welding forum bad enough its the easiest way to do it...Instead of having a debate as to if we should have something, or hope there's enough interest in it for management to do something, "bob's your uncle" and it's done...

Like I said before *shrug*

SO what, those of us interested in Michigan Specific Brewing, or the Grateful dead or the "going pro" brewers or all the hundreds of other sub groups on there manage to figure it out and push the appropriate buttons, I would think a bunch of DIYer or especially folks who can mamage to weld, could click on a link to...

If we all can manage it why can't you? :rolleyes:

Let's see. The mashers has, 486 members, 295 threads, & 2,497 messages including group buys and meets and helping each other out. INCLUDING at least one "hey can anyone weld this for me thread? And people seem to wander over there all the time....

So come on get real...

If you want a welding forum bad enough its the easiest way to do it...Instead of having a debate as to if we should have something, or hope there's enough interest in it for management to do something, "bob's your uncle" and it's done...

Like I said before *shrug*

You misunderstand me Revvy, I'm against fragmenting DIY not for. And as I said, for organizing things that pertain to a geographic locality it makes perfect sense to have groups.

You misunderstand me Revvy, I'm against fragmenting DIY not for. And as I said, for organizing things that pertain to a geographic locality it makes perfect sense to have groups.

I gotcha....I don't think there's a need for tons of subgroups either, but there is an option for those who do.

:mug:

I also just find it amusing that whenever I point this option out to the folks asking for the subforums...no one actually seems to take the initiative to do it.

That is the thing that was my responsibility every one of those years too. I simply figure this degenerative circle sickness in my neck probably won't be so terrible had I claimed a welding cap like the above rather than that substantial Jackson. I do realize it would have made life much simpler.

Latest posts

Back