Need feedback on Belgian dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a week today since I added the candi syrup, the temperature hovered between 75-78 and the gravity is now back at 1.012 where it was before adding the additional sugar. I don't expect it to fall any further so I'm going to bottle it tomorrow. I'll add priming sugar to carb it at 2.5 volumes. Can anyone tell me the correct way to calculate the ABV? I was thinking of going back to the calculator and adding the 1 pound of dark syrup to see the change in anticipated OG, then add the 0.003 overshoot.

Edit: I plugged in a pound of D-180 candi sugar as a guess that it is the closest equivalent to my homemade 290* syrup, should give around 24 SRM which seems close to how the sample looks.

BrewersFriend estimated FG of 1.074, I assume 1.077 because of my 3 point overshoot; with FG of 1.012 gives 8.53% ABV @83% attenuation.

The gravity sample tasted delicious, plenty of sweet malty aroma with notes of cherries, chocolate and raisins with a surprisingly dry finish. This is the beer I've been dreaming of! I can't wait till it's ready!!
20180113_130741.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!

Add the syrup into the recipe to get your OG. Is that what you mean?

Looks good!

Add the syrup into the recipe to get your OG. Is that what you mean?
Yeah that's what I did. I'm bottling tomorrow, the grav sample tasted great. This might become a regular for me, it was so easy to brew and I think it's going to turn out great. Tomorrow after bottling this dubbel I'm going to whip up another couple batches of candi syrup, just to have on hand.

Today is exactly three weeks since bottling day, it's carbing up nicely but a bit sweet for my taste. Since its only in the mid-60s in my laundry room, I put a case of bottles in a cooler on a heating mat set to 85 for the past week. Those bottles are really carbed but still a bit sweet. Flavor is quite good but I think this batch could use some aging, can I expect it to dry out a bit more with time?

I do not think the beer will dry out in the bottle, but it is very possible that after some conditioning, the flavours would " come together " better than they do now. This is from own experience, as I too had some beers with too much sweetness, but it mellowed out given some time.

Back