need experinced brewers input before i start my first brew this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue Moon was and is a gateway beer for many people. At least it was for me. I can't imagine spending money on the stuff now, but it was my first "Belgian".

nope well i went with the triple because it would be stronger in alcohol %..and thought it would be a blue moon liek beer.. but figured out after it was not...so that is what im trying to do is give it that orange flavor i like

The problem with buying a Belgian Tripel to do a "Blue moon" clone is Blue Moon is a Belgian WHEAT, not a Belgian Tripel. One thing you are going to miss with your beer is the wheat flavor. It's not going to taste like Blue Moon no matter what you do. You may get it some what close, but never right on. Sorry.

Three Months? I don't even look at my Tripels for 8 months to a year....

:off:
I started brewing because I love Tripels but hate the price they charge at the store. Wow, I need more carboy's. I wonder how I'm going to convince SWMBO I need to have 6 or more batches bulk aging at a time. Oh well, it's the challenges in life that make us stronger...or single. :D

Am I the only one offend that he called rev an a$&hole? It's not gonna taste like blue moon cause well, he's not gonna listen to advice, even when it's given all sweet and sensitive so as not to upset his delicate balance and feelings, he's starting off with the wrong ingredients, wrong attitude. Look, baddagger, I'm will try not to hold your desire to make a crappy beer ( hate blue moon ) against you, but if you wanna make beer that tastes like what your after, pull on your big boy panties, tell rev your sorry, you were pmsing that day and you didn't mean it, go to the store, buy a case of blue moon, and start reading everything rev ever posted. Once your done hopefully you will have learned something, and will enjoy the process and experience of a great hobby. My guess, you won't listen to any of us, tell all your friends it's not your fault you made crap beer, its those a$&holes who picked on you, hurt your feelings and gave you bad advice on purpose, and will sell all your equipment after it's taken up space in the closet for 6 months, and someone will be stoked that they got it cheap....

Apparently the people of 'gosuckit' ri don't take no lip from anyone. Sure Revvy could have worded it better, but the o.p. is extremely hard to make sense of. Spelling doesn't count, but being in the ballpark most of the time sure helps. I was definately confused at first. Also, this isn't the type of forum to tell someone to go eff themselves. If you don't like what someone said, be a little more mature about it. Its easy to start to curse and hurl insults and there are billions of other places to do that on the internet. This just isn't that type of place.

I forgot to answer about the starter. I use a flask and a stir plate, the flask has another name, but i cant spell it!:mug:

When i first made starters i would use a growler. Boil water and dme in a sauce pan, pour into a sanitized growler, with sanitized funnel, then set in an ice bath. Once cooled, i would add the yeast, after santizing the yeast packet and scissors. While watching tv that evening, i would keep the starter on my coffee table, and give it a good swirl every 10 min or so. I would get a little obsessive and play with it all night! Before pitching, i hit the rim of the container with a flame or some star san, just to be sure its sanitized.

I believe you're referring to a borosilicate Erlenmeyer flask...

hey thanks alot for the help.. im defently going to give this a try

No problem, the nice thing about this recipe is you already have a lot of the stuff from your kit but will still have enough left over to make a second batch. Also wit beer like Blue Moon is ready to drink about as fast as any brew you can make. The Nottingham yeast ferments quickly so don't expect active fermentation to last more than about 3 days. Then by 2 weeks your beer should be ready to bottle. You aren't trying to wait for it to clear because you want it cloudy and this type of beer should be drunk fresh.

Gosuckit, RI? Isn't that an old textile-mill town? I didn't know they still had a ********* factory up and running. Learn something new everyday!

although i am a very, very inexperienced brewer, revvy seems to be right about most things judging by the fact that (a) it usally makes total sense and (b) most of the other experienced brewers on here tend to agree with him.

However, in my very humble opinion, he does enjoy letting you know that he's right and he could be a little more tactful (see, for example, yooper's posts which are also very informative but presented in a... Friendly way). But hey, it's entertaining and also if everyone was the same, the world would be a boring place.

+1

Gosuckit, RI? Isn't that an old textile-mill town? I didn't know they still had a ********* factory up and running. Learn something new everyday!

WINNER !!!

Sorry, OP. The Trippel kit will not taste like Blue Moon. It is missing wheat and a totally different yeast. But go for it, and add the spices as others have said.

My favorite BM clone is from Wayne1 on here-- he helped w/ it while at Coors [stick to his & not the bastardized version by some well meaning folks later in that thread, IMO]. I have made Wayne1's version 4 times [40 gallons] and it slays. I use fresh zest vs dry, btw.

Yeah the Revs a little harsh but he knows what he's talking about at least... I had a teacher in 3rd grade that grabbed a belligerent student by the scruff and pushed him through the door to the office. Mr.Bliss lol. He's one of the only teachers I had who's name I remember, let alone everything he taught me. You have a bad attitude man. You've got to come here with an open mind and realize there are guys and even gals here with more brewing experience than you will ever have. What made you think a Tripel would be anything like Blue Moon? You should have come here and asked for advice before you even bought a kit

monkeydan said:
However, in my VERY humble opinion, he does enjoy letting you know that he's right and he could be a little more tactful (see, for example, Yooper's posts which are also very informative but presented in a... friendly way):

Yoopers a chick that's why ;)

You've got to come here with an open mind and realize there are guys and even gals here with more brewing experience than you will ever have. What made you think a Tripel would be anything like Blue Moon? You should have come here and asked for advice before you even bought a kit

i'm sure he understands that he's not as good at brewing yet as many of the people on here. revvy's tone was just kinda... know it all, dickish. but its hard to convey tone through text. the guy DEFINITELY over reacted.

and the guys should still consider revvy's advice too. his know it all-ness probably stems from him knowing it ALL (maybe not all but a **** ton :D)

i'm sure he understands that he's not as good at brewing yet as many of the people on here. revvy's tone was just kinda... know it all, dickish. but its hard to convey tone through text. the guy DEFINITELY over reacted.

yah i know i dont alot about brewing that was why i asked for input to see if it was possible.. then he tells me to leave it alone ok.. but then he goes on after that and says crap like on well u must know beter then anybody here and the people who made it when i never said anythign like that and it pissed me off... so excuse me for getting a little pissed off.

and the guys should still consider revvy's advice too. his know it all-ness probably stems from him knowing it ALL (maybe not all but a **** ton :D)

well thats great if he knows alot about making beer ..but just cause he knows alot does not mean there is any reason to talk to people the way he did.

2nd off i never said i thought i new more then the people who made the kit.. so i dont know were you came up with that b.s

You did think you knew more than the kit makers. You assumed (before talking to anyone) you could buy a "bigger beer" and add back the "blue moon" flavors... and bought the kit before seeking advise... But, someone told you it wasn't possible, that's when you asked for advice.

Look man we all make mistakes in the beginning. But humble yourself and take the advise of wiser men. FYI If you're getting into home brewing to make your favorite beers more boozy, you're in for a rude awakening.

Your just going to have to get used to it though, cause I don't think he's gonna change, but you will still find yourself learning from his posts again and again.... I remember being a little taken aback when he replied to one of my posts, but I took the advice and it worked, even though it was different from what others were telling me to do. Here's a piece of advice from me though. The kit you chose it not what you wanted, and it will be months before you are drinking it in a finished state. Why not just buy another kit, one that im sure someone on here can recommend, and make that? Save the Tripel for another day

You did think you knew more than the kit makers. You assumed (before talking to anyone) you could buy a "bigger beer" and add back the "blue moon" flavors... and bought the kit before seeking advise... But, someone told you it wasn't possible, that's when you asked for advice.

Look man we all make mistakes in the beginning. But humble yourself and take the advise of wiser men. FYI If you're getting into home brewing to make your favorite beers more boozy, you're in for a rude awakening.

yes when i did order it i thought all Belgians were the same... and i will admit that was a noob mistake(and i dont know alot about beers but i wanted to try something new) and i was hoping that maybe it might just needed a couple things added to have a flavor something like blue moon and .. but as it was stated it could not..... so i called up northerbrewer and they said i could return that kit sense it has not even come in the mail yet.

yes i did make a mistake but again there was no need for him to say what he said.. all he could have said was no it cant be done cause it does not have anything in the kit that is used in a blue moon then i woudl have dropped it..but he had to go over and beyond that .... yes i made a noob mistake and im trying to learn and he give me a bunch of crap for it.

but anyways thats how i feel and im leaving at that.. so i have nothing left to say about the matter with revvy

yes when i did order it i thought all belgians were the same... And i will admit that was a noob mistake(and i dont know alot about beers but i wanted to try something new) and i was hoping that maybe it might just needed a couple things added to have a flavor something like blue moon and .. But as it was stated it could not..... So i called up northerbrewer and they said i could return that kit sense it has not even come in the mail yet.

Yes i did make a mistake but again there was no need for him to say what he said.. All he could have said was no it cant be done cause it does not have anything in the kit that is used in a blue moon then i woudl have dropped it..but he had to go over and beyond that .... Yes i made a noob mistake and im trying to learn and he give me a bunch of crap for it.

But anyways thats how i feel and im leaving at that.. So i have nothing left to say about the matter with revvy

:drunk: :D

Latest posts

Back