Need big time conversion help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm abandoning extract and going to some kind of hybrid all grain/BIAB. Here's my method. Large rectangle cooler lined with a BrewBag brand bag. I want to mash the full grain bill in cooler with full boil water volume. No sparge, just drain into 11 gal SS brew pot. I've done experiments with the cooler, it has no problems holding 152-155 for an hour(without grain). Here's my question(s), the brew software I've seen is designed for mashes based on grain weight with 1.25 qts/lb. (I've seen this number vary in discussions in the forum). Most of the extract recipes I have are the 3-3 1/2gal boils and hop addition times are based on that water volume (not sure if that's right). The long and short of it is I love most of my extract recipes and want to make them using my new method.

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.

I'm abandoning extract and going to some kind of hybrid all grain/BIAB. Here's my method. Large rectangle cooler lined with a BrewBag brand bag. I want to mash the full grain bill in cooler with full boil water volume. No sparge, just drain into 11 gal SS brew pot. I've done experiments with the cooler, it has no problems holding 152-155 for an hour(without grain). Here's my question(s), the brew software I've seen is designed for mashes based on grain weight with 1.25 qts/lb. (I've seen this number vary in discussions in the forum). Most of the extract recipes I have are the 3-3 1/2gal boils and hop addition times are based on that water volume (not sure if that's right). The long and short of it is I love most of my extract recipes and want to make them using my new method.

If you are doing BIAB, disregard the mash ratio, you are essentially mashing in the entire boil volume. Think of it as a sparge/mash combined (from a water volume perspective).

Your ratio will be: (water volume/4)/(lbs of grain) = qts/lb

I think BeerSmith as a BIAB profile for mashing.

If you are doing BIAB, disregard the mash ratio, you are essentially mashing in the entire boil volume. Think of it as a sparge/mash combined (from a water volume perspective).

Your ratio will be: (water volume/4)/(lbs of grain) = qts/lb

I think BeerSmith as a BIAB profile for mashing.

I have beersmith, never looked for BIAB conversions. Hop additions and amounts stay the same?

Back