Need assistance with malt flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I am trying to train my pallet, but I have nothing to reference to

Can anyone give me commercial examples of beers that have a dominant flavor of the following malts:
Munich
Vienna
Biscuit
Amber
Victory
Brown Malt
Mild ale
Special B

I am trying to determine what the difference is between biscuit, victory and amber malt. They seem synonymous.

In Fat Tire Amber Ale, there is a distinct toastyness to it. Seems like it would be in one of the malts above. However in American Clone Brews, it lists crystal 120 and special B for specialty malts. What makes Fat Tire so toasty (and tasty)?

I have used biscuit and victory (8oz of one or the other) in all grain brews and I have not picked up on what flavors they may add. Maybe I need to use a pound or two next time?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have the time to list commercial examples for you, but base malt is probably what's giving you a little toasty flavor in Fat Tire. I've never noticed it, but the special B and crystal will both give off a sweet caramel like flavor, so it's neither of those.

Latest posts

Back