Need an Accurate Ph Meter... Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
I'm looking for an accurate Ph meter that can accurately read in temps over 50c (122f).

My current meter is reading at 5.9 in my mash tun, which is at 150f.

I seriously doubt that this is correct, as I am brewing with a decent amount of dark grains in this batch, I have added nearly 10g of Gypsum (it's an IPA, so I'm ok with a lot of gypsum :rockin:), and 3.5 ml of 75% phosphoric Acid.

I have calibrated this Ph meter before every brew, but I suspect that the temp may be throwing off the ATC a little...

Thoughts? 2 Cents?

You need to spend a metric crap-ton in order to get a decent meter.

Are you using a meter now, or strips?

I worked in a brewery that had $500+ meters that were okayish. They got you close. Then they broke down after a year of normal use.

You need to spend a metric crap-ton in order to get a decent meter.

Are you using a meter now, or strips?

I worked in a brewery that had $500+ meters that were okayish. They got you close. Then they broke down after a year of normal use.

I'm using a calibrated pen meter. It measures my buffers/testing solution spot on, but in the mash tun it just seems way off. I've brewed this before with the same treatment, but it never measured nearly that high, never over 5.4 actually, and now I'm getting 6+? Something seems fishy...

Back