need advise quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
So I spent the time to press 12 gallons of cider and have let them sit in the mean time. In the mean time, they all have started fermenting on their own.
The water bags they were in were about to explode. I put one cambden tab per gallon and it didn't do much.
How do I fix this???
Boil it?
Scott

I'm new to cider, but I do know that if you boil it, it will never clear. I would try added a bit more in the way of camden tabs. Also, crush then up before you put them in.

You can always try brewing with the natural yeasts, though it would give it a different taste.

Stopping an active fermentation is hard. First I would stick all the jugs In the fridge and make a yeast starter from 1 cup water, 1 cup cider and yeast pack, cover with a cloth and let sit for a few hours then add 1 more cup cider and let sit over night. Grow your starter adding a cup of juice every 4 hours or so, until you have a big starter, I would do 5-6 cup total over a 24 hour period. This way when you take the juice out and let it warm up you can pitch your massive starter and over power the wild yeast by sheer numbers, and they become food for your yeast. Hope this helps a bit

Back