Need advice re pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoochBrewer

Reaction score
We need to move Kombucha from our commercial size fermenter to food grade buckets for flavoring. The fermenters are on stands but not high enough up to let gravity take its course. We’ve read that a chugger pump may be the way to go. Would love some advice as we’ve never needed pumps until now (brewing at a much larger scale). What type of pump would be the best and why?

Commercial size fermenter. What size are we dealing with, 15 or 55+ gallons? I use to own a Chugger and it was a good pump, but noisy. I now have two Riptides. They are very quiet with similar or maybe a bit more flow than the Chugger.

The fermenter can hold up to 220 liters (~58 gallons). We are no where near that capacity right now but may be at some point in the future.

Chuggers work great! Out a ball valve on the output side so you can start and stop flow while keeping the pump primed.

Commercial size fermenter. What size are we dealing with, 15 or 55+ gallons? I use to own a Chugger and it was a good pump, but noisy. I now have two Riptides. They are very quiet with similar or maybe a bit more flow than the Chugger.

The fermenter can hold up to 220 liters (~58 gallons). We are no where near that capacity right now but may be at some point in the future.

These work great for me...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Pure-F...323554&hash=item440df11eb2:g:HUwAAOSwKWRZ4CF5
They will pump about 3 gallons per minute which mifght be a little slow for your needs vs a chugger which can do closer to 5gpm but cost 5 times more too...
I attached stainless camlocks to both ends and they can be attached right to the kettle ports.
unlike wort the booch shouldnt have the solids like hops and trub that turn most people off from these since they dont do well trying to pump solids.

These work great for me...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Pure-F...323554&hash=item440df11eb2:g:HUwAAOSwKWRZ4CF5
They will pump about 3 gallons per minute which mifght be a little slow for your needs vs a chugger which can do closer to 5gpm but cost 5 times more too...
I attached stainless camlocks to both ends and they can be attached right to the kettle ports.
unlike wort the booch shouldnt have the solids like hops and trub that turn most people off from these since they dont do well trying to pump solids.
Interesting. Thank you!

Back