Need Advice...please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
Ok so I a have always wanted a kegerator and now that I brew beer, I have a real need (I believe) for one. I am so strapped for cash, that I know this "need" is completely delusional. However, I would like to work my way to the point of reality with this.

My buddy has a full size fridge/freezer that he is willing to GIVE me. It is stainless steel. The only flaw that he has told me is that it tends to freeze over (the coils). I am not that handy, in the aspect that I couldn't just get in there and fix it. I could follow directions to do just about anything.

Basically I just wanted some people's opinions on whether or not I should take the fridge. So what do you guys think? Could this be turned into a kegerator eventually? Could I use it for a lagering fridge even though it could freeze up? Would a temperature controller stop this? I appreciate any opinions you guys have. Thanks again.

I think if you took it and used a temprature controller you would not have any problems because it would not be on all the time for the coils to freeze.

Take the fridge and see if you can't just fix it easily. Also, what does he mean by freezing the coils? My old fridge had the bottom freezer and once a year the ice would build up too much on the bottom and the fan would stop circulating the cold air.

Anyway, a temp control would solve any thermostat problems, but the thing could still freeze up because it wouldn't most likely be going through it's normal defrost cycle. (if it's a newer fridge)

Well I guess I will grab it. I just have limited space to put it, but if it is useless I will just trash it I guess. Thanks

Back