Need advice - imperial stout - yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaymzMF

Reaction score
Need some advise. I’m brewing a 10-11% ris this weekend. Wanted to try out the darkness yeast from imperial yeast. That was always the plan. But... I have a 6% APA in my fermenter now which used white labs wlp001. Hasn’t been dry hopped yet.
I’ve heard of people pouring new wort right onto yeast cake. Is this something I should consider? Or build my darkness starter as planned? Pros and cons of either one?
Also if I did use existing yeast cake, I can’t clean the fermenter. Just reuse and not worry about cleaning?
Would really love to get your feedback on this. Not sure what to do. Thank you!

Some people pour into the yeast cake without cleaning their fermenter. If it was me, I would transfer off 16 oz (maybe 32 oz) or so of the yeast slurry and pitch that into the next batch. If you decide to pitch directly onto the cake, I would just make sure to limit the time your fermenter is sitting around empty.

I have not used Darkness (similar to 1084?) before and have never used a Chico yeast in a big stout, but both seem like good yeasts for the job.

Good luck!

Back