Need advice from dog trainer or behaviorist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
is there anyone on this forum who is a dog trainer, or behaviorist, or even someone who knows alot about dogs?

i just brought home a newborn baby yesterday, and for the most part it went well, just that the dog gets really excited/nervous/stressed when the baby cries. i could really use some advice

thanks.

I'm not an expert by any means, so I can only supply advise on what's worked for me.

My dog had an issue with my coffee grinder, I assume the sound is what set her off, and this may also be the case for you. I was able to break her of this habit by when using the grinder telling her to "sshhh", "enough", "quiet" (Whatever word you've chosen) and making her sit. Telling her to be quiet enforced not barking and making her sit calmed her down. Worked great so far. But again, I'm no Cesar Millan.

I'm not a trainer but as I understand it you want to desensitize the dog to stressful situations by teaching them that the stressor is a good thing... and you can do that by plying them with treats. Give the dog treats when you handle the baby, and when the baby makes noise.

If the dog is too nervous to eat the treats you may have to switch to a really high value treat like lunch meat.

Good luck and congrats.

That's why babies cry -- to make us excited/nervous/stressed to the point that we will do whatever they need to make them happy again. Dogs have an amazing ability to relate to humans, and they get that crying is a problem. They can't solve the problem, so they stress until you solve it.

I would assure the dog that she is okay when this happens, and I would insist that she act calmly -- no barking, running around, etc. I would not provide a treat, though. Make the baby cry, get a treat! Eventually, I think your dog will understand that it is just another weird human thing that doesn't impact your ability to fill the dog bowl ...or love your pet.

I like dogs (and beer), but those are my only qualifications to provide any advice. Congrats on the new baby!

Maybe... when the baby starts to fuss, before crying, laugh and play with the dog. Hopefully it will learn crying isn't something to stress over.
But what do I know? Not much, just ask my wife...

Act casual when the baby cries. I second the giving of treats. Talk to the dog in a calm and happy manner and allow it to get to know the baby as much as safe/possible.

Eventually the baby will cry less and less, and the dog will learn to accept it.

Thsnks everyone for tge advice, it's tge 3rd day home now and things are starting to get better with the pup.

Speaking as someone who has fostered many dogs and has two (both adopted when they were puppies) it is important to reassure the dog that everything is okay and that there is nothing to worry about for them. It is also pretty important not to baby the dog (shower it with love and affection when it gets overly excited or stressed) because that can reinforce that their behavior was good and will get them attention.

Act calm and like normal when the dog gets stressed and don't engage in its stress or over excitement. When the dog begins to calm down some certainly pet it or talk to it as you normally would, but if you give a dog treats/extra attention when it is behaving in a way you don't want it to all you are doing is making it think you love it when it gets crazy.

Long story short the dog looks for you for guidance and leadership as you are the alpha of the "pack". If you remain calm and in control when the dog is stressed it will take your lead that there is nothing that it needs to worry about.

I spent $1200 and 12 weeks on a trainer for our dog...Totally ridiculous I know. If you want to know about teaching stay/come let me know

I too have spent money on some training classes, didn't really get much outta it, most of what I know about dogs I've learned online in blogs or forums.

Latest posts

Back