Need a "Victory Baltic Thunder" clone recipe pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryJohn

Reaction score
Anyone got a recipe for this baltic porter? I absolutely love this beer and want to brew one up for wintertime. Extract/partial mash recipe is preferred, but I'll take anything! I can't find anything online.

Thanks!

this should get you in the ballpark...

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

13.20 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
3.30 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
1.10 lb Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.10 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.10 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.55 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
0.88 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.7 IBU
0.59 oz Tradition [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU

2 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager (or appropriate starter)

Yeast Substitute: WLP830 German Lager

Measured Original Gravity: 1.093 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.58 %

Mash w/ 6.36 gallons @ 152 degrees. Sparge with 3 gallons for 7 gallon boil. Boil 60-90 mins. Drink a 6 pack for ABV test.

A few notes on Baltic Thunder (and its predicessor Perkunos Hammer):

The grist is welling up from the bottom of the mash tun. It's thick, it's cakey, it's got beans in it (over 100 lbs. of black-eyed peas; the Roman beans were crazy expensive, over a dollar a pound).

The aiming point for the Original Gravity of the wort was 20.5P, a big boy that should ferment out right around 8%, maybe a bit higher. Hopping is early additions of Tettnang and Hallertauer; as Ron says, they've got contracts that make it economically reasonable to use these deliciously aromatic hops for bittering hops.

It’s a Baltic porter with lots of Munich malt, chocolate and other specialty malts and, oh yes, some beans. Yes, beans. Not sure what the musical fruit adds (he claimed better mouthfeel).

A few notes on Baltic Thunder (and its predicessor Perkunos Hammer):

The grist is welling up from the bottom of the mash tun. It's thick, it's cakey, it's got beans in it (over 100 lbs. of black-eyed peas; the Roman beans were crazy expensive, over a dollar a pound).

The aiming point for the Original Gravity of the wort was 20.5P, a big boy that should ferment out right around 8%, maybe a bit higher. Hopping is early additions of Tettnang and Hallertauer; as Ron says, they've got contracts that make it economically reasonable to use these deliciously aromatic hops for bittering hops.

It’s a Baltic porter with lots of Munich malt, chocolate and other specialty malts and, oh yes, some beans. Yes, beans. Not sure what the musical fruit adds (he claimed better mouthfeel).

Oldstock
Do you have a 5 or 10 gallon recipe that you can share for the Victory Baltic Porter? I am very intrigued with your post and would like to know more to be able to brew this beer in the next few months.
Thanks for any input, oh and what does "welling up from the bottom of the mash tun" mean?
Cheers
Jay

Oldstock
Do you have a 5 or 10 gallon recipe that you can share for the Victory Baltic Porter? I am very intrigued with your post and would like to know more to be able to brew this beer in the next few months.
Thanks for any input, oh and what does "welling up from the bottom of the mash tun" mean?
Cheers
Jay

Sadly that's all the info I could find, I think the person who wrote it was just trying to be poetic.

Back