Need a recipe that SWMBO will like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzeigler

Reaction score
Im looking for an extract recipe that SWMBO will like and drink. Ive tried a couple True Brew kits and so far shes not crazy about any of them. Right now i have a pale ale in primary from my LHBS, hoping this will be the one. Anybody have any suggestions?

I think the pale ale is a good shot. Did you use a couple hop additions,say,the last 20-30 mins? That can help if they're not too over powering. BB's summer ale looks promising too. My wife's fermenting that one now. I've been told it's a Shock Top clone. Def like a Belgian White,at any rate...

unionrdr said:
I think the pale ale is a good shot. Did you use a couple hop additions,say,the last 20-30 mins? That can help if they're not too over powering. BB's summer ale looks promising too. My wife's fermenting that one now. I've been told it's a Shock Top clone. Def like a Belgian White,at any rate...

The kit had cascade with it. One oz for 60 and .5 ozs last 5 mins. Tasting my hydrometer samples i love it. The slayer recipe looks good, maybe ill try that next. Thanks for the ideas.

The kit had cascade with it. One oz for 60 and .5 ozs last 5 mins. Tasting my hydrometer samples i love it. The slayer recipe looks good, maybe ill try that next. Thanks for the ideas.

Yeah,the 3 cascade additions combined with the citrus peel/spice bag smells like it's gunna be good. It's bubbling happily away now.

She drinks michelob, miller lite and sometimes a hard lemonade. It can be hard to get her to try new things. She does try all my brews but she wont give them much of a chance. Thats why i need something that will hold her from one sip.

Add fruit? Girls love fruit?
Maybe try a cider instead of a beer.

OR, try a orange hefe. Lots of recipes for those.

Biermunchers recipes are also all really good. I haven't tried the swmbo slayer, but the centennial blonde is a constant winnar. Its nearly identical to the Haus ale recipe you can find on the forums too.

I wonder if it's just because she knows it's "home brew",& not made by a "real" brewer. Some folks are funny that way. They won't give it the time of day,since it's no the usual 3.2 swill they're used to. So,it may have to be pretty light colored,like pilsner light DME mixed with pilsner malt LME,some Carapils...something like that. Kind of a lawnmower ale?...

I bet she won't like your pale ale if she is a hard-core BMC drinker. Too much flavor from hops.

There is a great Blue Moon clone on here by Wayne1, a former Coors brewer. no hop taste, just deliciousness. all the chicks dig it.

You could do SWMBO slayer - but it has a wit yeast WLP 400, and may be too yeasty bc it has a low flocc rate. Blue Moon uses clean California ale yeast (US-05, WLP 001).

Add fruit? Girls love fruit?
Maybe try a cider instead of a beer.

OR, try a orange hefe. Lots of recipes for those.

Biermunchers recipes are also all really good. I haven't tried the swmbo slayer, but the centennial blonde is a constant winnar. Its nearly identical to the Haus ale recipe you can find on the forums too.

Well.....................I don't think it's true that girls like fruit beers necessarily. I personally despise fruit beers, and a fruity hefeweizen would be God-awful in my opinion. That's why it's important to know what she likes.

I bet she won't like your pale ale if she is a hard-core BMC drinker. Too much flavor from hops.

There is a great Blue Moon clone on here by Wayne1, a former Coors brewer. no hop taste, just deliciousness. all the chicks dig it.

If she like hefeweizen, then yeah do SWMBO slayer - but it has a wit yeast WLP 400, and may be too yeasty. Blue Moon uses clean California ale yeast (US-05, WLP 001).

I agree that if she likes Blue Moon, that would be a way to go. Otherwise a cream ale, fermented cool with a neutral ale yeast. That would be like Genessee Cream Ale.

Pale Ales are hoppy, and bitter compared to American light lagers, and won't be at all a good choice for someone who doesn't like them.

Centennial Blonde with a dryhop. One of my wife's friends who is a self-proclaimed "beer hater" drank a whole glass of this

ss_beer_prodshot_sm.png

Which is basically a dryhopped Centennial Blonde. Nice floral citrusy aroma, not much bitterness to offend with.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Thought about the hard lemonade but think ill try the miller light clone. As soon as my primarys empty ill get busy on brewing it up.

Latest posts

Back