Need a new fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPP33

Reaction score
I've always used glass carboys but I noticed that there's a crack almost all the way around the bottom of one of my big ones. (It's currently empty).

I've thought about going plastic and maybe now is the time. What are the latest opinions on the plastic fermenters? Not really interested in using buckets, I know they work and make great beer but I'm looking at the carboys. I'm know of Fermonster and better bottles but I've never used either. What else is out there and what's your opinion on them? :mug:

As for plastic, I've used Better Bottles, Fermonster, Big Mouth Bubbler. I do like the big mouth on the latter two because it's easier to clean, add dry hops, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I do recommend carrying them in a milk crate since they're flexible. This will help prevent suck back through the airlock. Also take care not to scratch them.

I have my first batch in a 30L Speidel (7.9gal) after years of using glass carboys and I freakin love it! Big opening for cleaning, dry hopping, fruit, etc. Handles for carrying. A drain built in for bottling/ kegging straight from the fermenter (I tilted it back during fermentation so less trub would be up front by the drain). Modifications for an upgraded valve, thermowell, pressurized transfers, etc are easy and tons of people have posted examples of their mods. I was going to buy a stainless brew bucket but I think k I'll get a couple more of these instead!

I have both the better bottle and the fermonster style fermentation vessels. They both are great for fermenting. There is nothing you can`t do with either.

But, I prefer the fermonster for primary fermentation. The larger screw top allows for easier and faster access. Easier to fill. Easier to clean. Easier to make additions. Easier to take hydro readings. The `punted bottom`allows for cleaner racking, generally speaking. And I notice no oxygen ingress issues with the screw top during primary fermentation.

I will note that I have not bulk aged in the fermonster. Currently, I transfer anything that needs bulk aging into a better bottle because I like using the fermonster for primary and I have a dozen other bottles. I don't think there would be an issue bulk aging in a fermonster. Maybe someone else can comment.

Do yourself a favor and whichever you buy, get the biggest one!!! :tank:

while we are on this topic, anyone have any recommendations for a 10 gallon vessel that won't break the bank? I'm gonna be ready to step up to larger batch size in the coming months. But I don't wanna pay hundreds of dollars for conical, or get something of potentially dubious quality.

For a 10 gallon, I'd look at the Speidel fermentors. I currently use glass and plastic better bottles but want to move to the Speidel sometime in the future.

I can fit four 7.9 gallon buckets in my fridge for fermenting. any chance I can do that with any other vessel?

Honestly i've been seriously considering switching to corny kegs for fermenting. I use a standard size fridge to ferment in and can only fit 2 buckets, where i think i could fit at least 4 kegs. This would mean brewing ~8 gal batches instead of 10 and ~4 instead of 5. Look into this if you haven't considered it yet, it seems pretty solid. The downside is you need alot of kegs but theyre easier to stash/stack. Used kegs can be as cheap/cheaper than fermentors.

I use glass for almost all of my brewing - the old 10 gallon demijohns. I have 4 of them and they only cost me $15-$20 each off of craigslist. I have a long cleaning brush so cleaning isn't much of an issue. They are a bit more fragile but I minimize the distance I have to move them when filled and keep them on a carpet square.

But - I do have a Big Mouth Bubbler I use when doing beers where I'm adding fruit or other ingredients that would be hard to remove out of a narrow mouth glass fermenter. If I'd have to replace my glass demijohns I'd go with the Big Mouth all the way.

Honestly i've been seriously considering switching to corny kegs for fermenting. I use a standard size fridge to ferment in and can only fit 2 buckets, where i think i could fit at least 4 kegs. This would mean brewing ~8 gal batches instead of 10 and ~4 instead of 5. Look into this if you haven't considered it yet, it seems pretty solid. The downside is you need alot of kegs but theyre easier to stash/stack. Used kegs can be as cheap/cheaper than fermentors.

I've thought about doing this, I just picked up 5 from a friend who is getting out of kegging due to space. Plus side is I could cold crash under pressure and transfer clean beer to my serving keg, easy to handle, easy to dry hop in primary, easy to keep light off it. The down side is I either have to do smaller batches to account for head space or put half in each of two kegs then deal with splitting wort, dry hops and yeast and two transfers to the serving keg. I'm still torn on the idea......

After getting a crack similar to OP in my 6.5 carboy, I went BMB and never looked back. Unbreakable, lightweight, easy to clean, easy to handle, nicely punted bottom, good seal with the new style lid, clear gal markings. Only one semi-gripe --- I installed a spigot for the first time and it leaked around the washer. Found out that there was a burr around the edge of the spigot hole from having been drilled out, and the washer wasn't seating completely. If you get this type of BMB, be sure to take some fine sandpaper or a file and work off any burrs. Fortunately, I had only water and not beer in it at the time I discovered it. :D

while we are on this topic, anyone have any recommendations for a 10 gallon vessel that won't break the bank? I'm gonna be ready to step up to larger batch size in the coming months. But I don't wanna pay hundreds of dollars for conical, or get something of potentially dubious quality.

Ditto madscientist's recommendation on the Spiedel. I was all set to get a 60L one but it was too wide to fit in my chest freezer fermenter. I ended up modifying a 50# (13 gallon) square Vittle Vault by adding a spigot and airlock but it is a lot harder to clean than the Spiedel would have been. The VV was $35 and I spent another $10 for the spigot and airlock grommet.

I've thought about doing this, I just picked up 5 from a friend who is getting out of kegging due to space. Plus side is I could cold crash under pressure and transfer clean beer to my serving keg, easy to handle, easy to dry hop in primary, easy to keep light off it. The down side is I either have to do smaller batches to account for head space or put half in each of two kegs then deal with splitting wort, dry hops and yeast and two transfers to the serving keg. I'm still torn on the idea......

Yeah I'm seriously considering it, its easy to use a calculator to do 4 or 8 gallon batches instead of 5 or 10. And what other fermentor has the perc of cold crashing and closed transfers under pressure?

I have 5 Kegs too, and i like to have 4-5 available for finished beer, so im looking at getting another 4, one day ill have to sit down and analyze the full cost benefit.

Yeah I'm seriously considering it, its easy to use a calculator to do 4 or 8 gallon batches instead of 5 or 10. And what other fermentor has the perc of cold crashing and closed transfers under pressure?

I have 5 Kegs too, and i like to have 4-5 available for finished beer, so im looking at getting another 4, one day ill have to sit down and analyze the full cost benefit.

The thing I don't like about 4 gal batches is I'm essentially not getting a gallon I paid for. I put all of the time into it, still requires a full liquid yeast packet and I'd probably just use the same amount of hops else I'll have a bunch of really small qtys collecting. Grain is easy to account for but the cost savings is almost nothing. Though it could be the kick in the butt I need to start growing/freezing yeast and buying hops in bulk.

How big is the lid on the fermonster? Is there enough room to drill two smaller holes in the lid so I can have one for an airlock and one for a temp probe? I see the BMB offers a 2 hole lid.

I have both a Spiedel and a Fermonster. The Spiedel is by far the nicer of the two. I don't use the Fermonster unless I need to, mainly because mine does not have a spigot, but I see that they now make them with one. Nor Cal Brewing is making some nice fixtures for the Spiedel.

All that being said, I'm going to be upgrading to SS Brew Buckets very soon.

I have both a Spiedel and a Fermonster. The Spiedel is by far the nicer of the two. I don't use the Fermonster unless I need to, mainly because mine does not have a spigot, but I see that they now make them with one. Nor Cal Brewing is making some nice fixtures for the Spiedel.

All that being said, I'm going to be upgrading to SS Brew Buckets very soon.

Ferm control is a bin of water which I heat/cool so a spigot is undesirable for me. Is that the only benefit of your spiedel?

Ferm control is a bin of water which I heat/cool so a spigot is undesirable for me. Is that the only benefit of your spiedel?

No, the Spiedel is a much much thicker plastic, heavier duty. It has handles, easier to move. You don't have to use the spigot, included with the spiedel is a cap to put where the spigot would normally go. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. You could get two Fermonsters for the price of a Spiedel. Both will get the job done.

That is not a long term solution to fermentation temperature control imo so I wouldn't exclude a fermenter with a spigot so quickly.

Ss brew bucket is awesome love mine I can control temp. Move safely. Clean more easily. Most importantly make better beer.

That is not a long term solution to fermentation temperature control imo so I wouldn't exclude a fermenter with a spigot so quickly.

Since I can easily control my temps within about +/- 1 degree I respectfully disagree. A couple weeks ago I had a Kolsch at 60 and slowly walked a Saison up from 65 to 73. Can't do that with a single ferm chamber. One day I might add a chest freezer for even easier temp control but not in the foreseeable future.

Since I can easily control my temps within about +/- 1 degree I respectfully disagree. A couple weeks ago I had a Kolsch at 60 and slowly walked a Saison up from 65 to 73. Can't do that with a single ferm chamber. One day I might add a chest freezer for even easier temp control but not in the foreseeable future.

Interesting. How do you control the water temp in a water bath to +/- 1 degree?

Interesting. How do you control the water temp in a water bath to +/- 1 degree?

My basement (storage closet without heat/AC register) is cool enough to where the the bath (~ 20 gal tub) with evaporation will keep it cooler than I need it. The basement is temp controlled, just not the closet so it stays in the 60s, evaporation naturally cools it down. I use an ITC-1000 with temp probe in the carboy, not the water bath, to run an aquarium heater. On a hot day with a hot fermentation I may need to add a couple frozen water bottles during peak activity but with that much thermal mass temps change VERY slowly. I also start with water roughly the temp I'm shooting for so it starts out on the right foot.

Fussing with the water is certainly more work than dropping it in a ferm chamber but it is also a hell of a lot less expensive and takes up a lot less room...and it's a small % of my time spent on brew day and easily fits within down time while I boil. If my pipeline runs dry I have been known to use my keezer as a ferm chamber but it usually has beer in it.

I have been using 6.5 gal glass carboys and I’m well over it, I love the glass over plastic but yes it’s a bit harder to clean but easier to keep watch over your fermentation. At this point I’m now in the market for a 15gal fermentor. I have found a few but most are plastic. I have see a few YouTube videos where they have made a fermentor out of a 15 gal keg. Not sure how I’d like that idea to make sure you get a good seal.

I have the Fermonster and I like it a lot. The mouth is wide enough so I can get my arm in it for cleaning. 7 gallon capacity for those 5.5 gallon brews that have huge krausens and at $25 it doesn't break the bank.

I have been using 6.5 gal glass carboys and I’m well over it, I love the glass over plastic but yes it’s a bit harder to clean but easier to keep watch over your fermentation. At this point I’m now in the market for a 15gal fermentor. I have found a few but most are plastic. I have see a few YouTube videos where they have made a fermentor out of a 15 gal keg. Not sure how I’d like that idea to make sure you get a good seal.
https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermentor-Kits/

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Tee-Fermenter-Kit.html

I think I'll try the less elegant carboy cap and racking cane trick first, just to make sure I like using it. Moving after filling and temp control would be the biggest obstacles for me!

I used to use 30L sanke kegs for fermenters when I did 5 gallon batches. They worked well and though you can't stick your arm in one they aren't any tougher to clean than a carboy.

I have 5 Speidel 30L and they are awesome.

Easy to clean, easy to dryhop and add adjuncts due to the very large opening. They got a spigot, the airlock is pretty neat and in these you can actually ferment 5 and 6 gallons, possibly a tad more.

I have been looking into the SS Brew Tech 14gal fermentor with the optional temp control. During the winter months I don’t have an issue with temp control but it’s the summer month that can fluctuate my temp a lot so definitely need to get a better system for that.

Also I have brewed with other brewers who use the sanke system and cleaning is always a hassle. Also the same issue with temp control comes up, if you have solutions for those I’d love to learn. Best way I have seen to clean the Sanke system is to have a motor pump and pressurize the system and basically infinite symphony.

Last edited:
Since I can easily control my temps within about +/- 1 degree I respectfully disagree
You say that you can control your temperature to +/-1 degree? There is absolutely no way, especially how you are doing it. I use a refrigerator with an expensive controller coupled to a thermowell and cannot get it that close. Thermometers and controllers have, at best, a +/- 3 degree variance. To get that close, you would need a $20,000 lab grade chamber. Trust me on this, I manage a calibration department for a large corporation.

You say that you can control your temperature to +/-1 degree? There is absolutely no way, especially how you are doing it. I use a refrigerator with an expensive controller coupled to a thermowell and cannot get it that close. Thermometers and controllers have, at best, a +/- 3 degree variance. To get that close, you would need a $20,000 lab grade chamber. Trust me on this, I manage a calibration department for a large corporation.

You never know he could be standing watching 24/7 but I know that with technology always growing there are pumps and digital thermometers that advertise keeping temp with in +/- 1 degree. Just look at the heating/cooling systems that SS Brew Tech is advertising, that’s the reason I’m looking at that because obviously temp control during fermentation is key.

Back