Need a magnum hops substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am brewing a milk stout and the brew shop had no magnum hops.. I just need a small amount ..less than a half ounce... what can I sub for it? I looked at a sub chart and the 2 it listed I have never even heard of before.. I have several different kinds.

If its for bittering you can use any high AA but low cohumulone hops, such as warrior, horizon or Nugget.

Personally I would use challenger to bitter a Milk stout though warrior is my generally purpose for bittering for most styles. Perle makes a good aroma hop for a milk stout, weird beard do a milk stout with perle its excellent, you can bitter with it too.

Columbus or Horizon would be a good substitute. I made an American stout and the original recipe called for horizon as the bittering hops, but I substituted them for columbus. It turned out fantastic..very bitter (which I like).

Warrior would be a good choice as well..that is also my go-to for bittering.

Good thing it worked out.

Curious about the people mentioning Horizon. You don't find Horizon to have a completely different flavor than Magnum?

It can be used as a bittering substitute. Im not familiar with the flavor qualities of horizon

I thougt I could taste a difference, but not sure. Are you trying to say bittering hops don't impart any flavor?

Basically. They might have mininmal contributions to flavor. From what Ive read, the flavorful/aromatic hop oils mostly boil away if boiled for too long..thats why most flavor additions are done at 30-0 min.

Roughly said, you get the more bittering out of hops the longer you boil them, and more aroma the less you boil. Therefore, you typically get bitter between 60-30 minutes, flavor between 30-15 minutes, and aroma between 15-0 minutes. If you use an IBU calculator you'll see that you still get bitterness from even a 5 minute addition, but it's much much less than a 60 minute.

Very few hops are considered good for bittering only, since even the most popular bittering hops still bring some flavors and aromatics to the table. For those of us on a budget, it's also important to get the most out of our high-AA hops and not waste them on flavor/aroma.

Latest posts

Back