need a lil help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerpower12

Reaction score
I start my first extract and grain brew yeasterday I pitch the liquid yeast at 80 degrees an I did that at 6 pm an I check at 3pm no activity yet so did I mess up on something just need a lil help milk stout do have to repitch the yeast

Wait a few days before you get too concerned, but what yeast did you use and how sure are you that it was 80?

How long since packaging, or when is the expiration date on the vial/smackpack?

Did you make a starter?

Do you know what the OG of the wort was?

If it was too hot you could have killed some yeast.

You are probably just fine and should wait longer, but at higher temps like 80 you'll get some out-of-style flavors.

Can take up to 72 hours to show activity. Also pitching at 80 is too warm. Get that down to mid 60's. Research swamp cooler on here. Also airlock is not representative on fermentation.

80 degrees is way to warm to pitch your yeast. It wouldn't kill the yeast though. Did you oxygenate your wort? What temperature are you fermenting at right now? What kind of yeast?

I took the temp befor I put the liquid yeast name is east Midland ale yeast WLP039 even on the vial it say good to pitch at 70-75 degrees I think I did a lil over is that still good it drop in temp to because next to my heater so is that a good place an I got a Q I live in Tacoma Washington it in the cold mouths here so is it a good idea to buy one of the heater belt

Do you have a thermometer on it?

Again, you are probably fine and just need to wait.

But whether or not you made a starter, the gravity of your wort, oxygenation, temp, etc are all things that impact the fermentation. Without more information, the best you can do is wait longer...

I took the temp befor I put the liquid yeast name is east Midland ale yeast WLP039 even on the vial it say good to pitch at 70-75 degrees I think I did a lil over is that still good it drop in temp to because next to my heater so is that a good place an I got a Q I live in Tacoma Washington it in the cold mouths here so is it a good idea to buy one of the heater belt

From white labs website on that yeast strain:
British style ale yeast with a very dry finish. Medium to low fruit and fusel alcohol production. Good top fermenting yeast strain, is well suited for top cropping (collecting). This yeast is well suited for pale ales, ambers, porters, and stouts.
Attenuation
73-82%
Flocculation
Medium to High
Optimum Ferment Temp.
66-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance
Medium

I'd keep it at about 64 degrees or so, as fermentation itself produces heat and will warm up the fermenter.

I don't imagine you need a heat belt, unless your house is under 60 degrees or thereabouts for most ale yeast strains.

So did I mess up this batch of beeran I give it yeast Engerizer would that mess it up

Gingerpower12 said:
So did I mess up this batch of beer

I think "mess up" is too strong a term. You've made your beer at the less than optimal fermentation temperature. What could happen? In about six weeks you are going to have a brew that you have made. Will it be the best example of this style of beer - no, will it be drinkable - yes. Will it have some off flavored - possibly. Take notes and the next time you brew this beer pitch your yeast at a lower temperature.

We have all done the same thing before, you learn and do better next time.

The brew process is a thousand steps, this is but one of them.

Let us know how the beer turns out.

Back