Need a Hopfish clone (or other creative recipes!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgentzel

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if you could help me make a Flying Dog Hopfish clone. It's one of my favorite IPA's and I'm really missing it. I live in South Korea, so my ingredients are a bit limited. Here's the description of Hopfish, for those of you who have not had it before...

http://www.flyingfish.com/beers/hopfish.cfm

It gives some insight into the ingredients as well.

Now, for what malts and hops I have available:
Carafa2
Carahell
Caramunich2
Munich malt
Vienna malt
Wheat malt
Carapils
Pilsner malt
Smoked malt
Munich 3 malt

And hops are as follows:
Cluster
Pride of Ringwood
Williamette
Amarillo
Kent Golding
Challenger
Hersbrucker
Northdown
Northern Brewer
Pearle
Simcoe
Styrian Goldings
Fuggles
Cascade
Tettnag
Saaz
(And 2oz. of Nugget from the states)

For yeast I have:
S-04
WLP004
WLP001
WLP570

So yeh, I've never made my own recipe before, but I assume I would use pilsner as my base and I don't know beyond that hah. WLP001 I'm pretty sure of also :D Their description says Magnum, Nugget, Ahtahnum. I have the 2oz of Nugget, but that's not much, and I don't know what substitute would be good for the others. Also, not sure if this is worth noting, but I really fell in love with this beer at the Philadelphia Real Ale Invitational last year, where they seem to imply that they dry hopped it differently. Extra points if you went and can help me identify what they did there or how I can recreate that awesome taste (I know, it was a whole year ago, doh!). Do you think I should try sending Flying Fish and email and do you think they would help a homebrotha out?

Also, if anyone has any creative ideas for these listed ingredients be sure to post a recipe and I'll try it out :mug:

Oh, I just noticed they describe the yeast they used as an English ale yeast in Hopfish. Maybe WLP004 would be better?

I'll take a stab

11 lbs pale
1 lb munic
0.75 lb cara munich
0.25 lb carapils

1 oz. Nugget @60
0.5 oz. Cluster @ 15
0.5 oz. Cluster @ 15
1 oz. Simcoe @5
1 oz. Cascade @5
1 oz. Nugget (dry hop)
1 oz. Cascade (dry hop)

I'd still stick with WLP001 for a clean, dry finish. Maybe mash at 152*F

(or e-mail the brewery :D)

here's a cool hop substitution chart: http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

I emailed the brewery yesterday, not with all the limitations I have, but asking for a clone recipe in general. Anyway, thanks for the response, you're the only one so far :D

Back