Need a GOOD thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well, I just toasted my fourth, yeah FOUR!!! Digital therms for the cooking industry just can't cut it for all grain brewing. I have used taylors, thinking they are the best. THe problem is surely with moisture entering and compromising the probe. I have used heat shrink tubing, melted on tapes (duct, black) and even hot glue to try and seal this up...not happening.

So litterally the boiling point happened today. Typically you can bake or heat the probe to drive the water out and get a good reading again. Well, I decided to use a torch. ....to make a long story short...I have some minor burns on my face and good thing I was wearing goggles!

So, somebody please tell me about a good, reliable and DURABLE, brewing therm....

A thermapen is really nice, accurate and expensive, if you have the scrilla I would get one of those. I use this one it is cheap, and it can be calibrated. I also have several dial thermos that have been calibrated, I use them to verify what the primary one is reading every once in a while.

Another thought is to waterproof the probe style thermometer like Bobby M does

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're using remote probe style thermometers? If you want a remote probe type thermometer without installing a thermocouple, you'll probably have to water-proof it Bobby M style.

I use pen style thermometers with good results. The thermapens sound nice, but they're a bit out of my price range. The Cooper Atkins 450W is a cheaper dishwasher safe alternative to the thermapen, and works very well. The Taylor 9848 or 9842 or the Comark DT400 are also decent waterproof thermometers, but don't have the accuracy of the Cooper Atkins.

I have been trying to waterproof them, but Bobby M takes it to the next level. I will give that a try....thanks so much. I think I need a pen style one as well.

Sounds like you're using remote probe style thermometers? If you want a remote probe type thermometer without installing a thermocouple, you'll probably have to water-proof it Bobby M style.

I use pen style thermometers with good results. The thermapens sound nice, but they're a bit out of my price range. The Cooper Atkins 450W is a cheaper dishwasher safe alternative to the thermapen, and works very well. The Taylor 9848 or 9842 or the Comark DT400 are also decent waterproof thermometers, but don't have the accuracy of the Cooper Atkins.

The cooper-atkins 450W sounds nice, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Suggestions?

It appears that I posted some bad info earlier, and I apoplgize. I recently brewed with a friend who used his Cooper Atkins and bragged the whole time about how it was accurate to +/- 0.1 degrees F, which I was very impressed by. I went to find one for myself, but it turns out he was confusing resolution and accuracy. The Cooper Atkins is actually only accurate to +/- 2F, and at a higher price than the Taylor or Comark with +/- 1F accuracy, I'd suggest another brand.

Latest posts

Back