Need a Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teal

Reaction score
All -

I'm looking for a Belgian beer to make for my grandmother.

Let me explain - she's Belgian, her grandfather came to the US many many years go due to getting in trouble with the King. (poaching while he was in the Cavalry) - Technically he deserted to avoid a jail term and could never return. I'd like to make a nice Belgian beer that I'd think he would have enjoyed in the old country but it needs to be something that a non advanced palate would be able to handle. I want to do something I can pass out this summer with a picture of him on the label.

So I'm thinking some sort of Belgian Wit? I don't believe Blue Moon to be a genuine Belgian Wit - I've heard it called a Belgian white style of beer. Is this what I should be looking for? Don't know if we have the time or if they have the palate for a Lambic/Kriek/tripple etc.

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm a stout kinda guy and my Belgian interest does tend to lie towards the sour ends of things - don't think grandma's ready for that.

Any recommendations? Recipe or kit - extract or all grain, it works...

There are lots of Hoegarden recipes around. It is a Belgian Wit (from Belgium). Easy drinker, probably a quick turnaround also. Definitely more of a starter beer than a Tripel, sour, saison, quad, etc.

Latest posts

Back