Nearly empty kegs = CO2 dumps from regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreene820

Reaction score
Hello, I just chased down a CO2 leak, but now I'm experiencing problems keeping the co2 under control for two corny kegs running off the supply. Both kegs are well below half full. I can set the regulator for 8psi, when I return the next day the reg is overpressurized at 20 or more psi. This doesn't happen with nearly full kegs. Does this mean the reg is failing?

My regulator does this on occasion; I'll purge all the co2 out, have the manifold valves shut, and the regulator will still go up. I pull the PRV a few more times and it settles down. Try this; Purge all the co2 out after closing the manifold, then very slooooowly turn it up to your desired psi. If it goes over, pull the PRV and see if it still goes above what you want it set to. Then, yes, maybe your regulator is wonky and needs a replacement, or maybe an overhaul. It could also be overcarbed kegs, but doesn't sound like it. How does the beer pour from them? What are the lengths of your beer line & co2 line?

i always set my PSI with the shut-off valve at the reg off...otherwise it does creep up on me...when the shut off valve is off nearly instant read out but if you have a half full keg soaking it up take minutes to an hour to settle.

My regulator does this on occasion; I'll purge all the co2 out, have the manifold valves shut, and the regulator will still go up. I pull the PRV a few more times and it settles down. Try this; Purge all the co2 out after closing the manifold, then very slooooowly turn it up to your desired psi. If it goes over, pull the PRV and see if it still goes above what you want it set to. Then, yes, maybe your regulator is wonky and needs a replacement, or maybe an overhaul. It could also be overcarbed kegs, but doesn't sound like it. How does the beer pour from them? What are the lengths of your beer line & co2 line?
The beer is heavily overcarbed at this point. Best policy I've come up with is to wait five minutes, check pressure. Keep lowering it if needed. I guess it takes a while to equalize pressure when you're filling out two kegs that are already low.

I had a bought a spare regulator some time ago, so I replaced the one in my kegerator. That appears to have fixed the issue.

I've not had this issue with my Taprite regulators, but I think I saw something along the same lines with a different brand. The one that did have that type of issue wasn't in my possession long.

There ARE rebuild kits that you can get for the Taprite regulators that will resolve most issues. Or at least ones due to the diaphragm getting old and not working properly. I did that on my dual body and older single body earlier this year. I also have a brand new third CO2 regulator, also a Taprite, that I'm using to carbonate in fermenter since the oldest regulator I have has accuracy issues with the low pressure gauge. That was a rebuild that I bought in 2011, so I'm not really complaining. I've relegated that one to be used for purging cans when filling as well as pressurizing kegs after putting sanitizer in them (to get a good seal before filling them up).

IMO/IME, get a regulator made by a quality name and your chance of having issues is reduced. Or, if you do have issues, getting repair parts are easy and the process doesn't take much work. A few basic tools, at least IMO, and you can do most repair jobs on these.

BTW, the dual body regulator I have is feeding the CO2 side of my keezer setup. Each of the bodies goes to a different manifold so that I can put different styles on different pressure levels. I also have a nitro/co2 setup for the same keezer. So, yeah, it's a little busy for gas feeds (all mounted to the inside of the collar), with the tanks and regulators outside passing through gas bulkheads.

Back