Near Death Brewing Accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walzenbrew

Reaction score
Recently I was moving a glass carboy...and you know how that story ends. I set down the carboy a little too rough and it shattered.

The glass missed cutting anything significant but it was still harrowing.

What's the closest near death disaster you've experienced during brewing escapades?

Soooo are you another convert to not using glass carboys?

Glad you are ok all things considered with minimal injury, still don't know why people still choose to play with glass carboys even though there is an entire thread dedicated to the gore and horror from carboy accidents.

And to answer your question so far I have no gruesome stories to tell from brewing, the only glass I use in my brewery are my Erlenmyer flasks and my hydrometers.

Soooo are you another convert to not using glass carboys?

Glad you are ok all things considered with minimal injury, still don't know why people still choose to play with glass carboys even though there is an entire thread dedicated to the gore and horror from carboy accidents.

I actually have 2 better bottles, which I love dearly, but found a free glass carboy and couldn't pass it up.

I will die one day, but it will not be because of severed arteries from a broken carboy.

I use glass. One holds 2 liters and the others hold a pint!

It's that there are so many of these threads, why start another?
It's a choice, I like glass and take precautions when using it, I also have plastic and use it.
I ride motorcycles and take precautions when I do, I know there are inherent dangers but I choose to do it.

It's that there are so many of these threads, why start another?
It's a choice, I like glass and take precautions when using it, I also have plastic and use it.
I ride motorcycles and take precautions when I do, I know there are inherent dangers but I choose to do it.

Well you can't ride a motorcycle without using a motorcycle....
But you can ferment a beer without using glass.

It is your choice, but to take the point too far.... Glass carboys increase my insurance premiums!!!! ;)

I have broken a carboy luckily it only had water and PBW in it and not beer... Then i probably would have died from sadness. But I have found that the brewhauler is great: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OF8V5W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also bought shelf liner at costco and had some extra, and so it was a nice rubbery material, so I cut them out to the dimensions of the carboy, and glued it to the bottom. It was similar to this: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/drawerOrganizers/drawerShelfLiners?productId=10000688

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both glass and plastic carboys def prefer the plastic. Never noticed any difference between the two and the plactic are way easier to handle.

I went back to plastic buckets for all primary fermentations. Cheap, easy to clean, and they got a handle built-in!

+1 on the Brewhauler when using carboys!

Honestly, I never used a glass carboy because they are expensive.

After reading all the threads here about the dangers of glass, I'm good.

I don't even have a better bottle yet. I will eventually though.

Cautionary tales about glass carboys have their very own thread but this thread offers a broader spectrum of fodder for the worrywort. Turkey fryer self immolation, electrocution, power tool mishaps, etc. This is your chance to tell how you came to be known as Lefty or One Eyed Jack.

Well, so far the worst accident that I have had was either a sore back from carrying my Better Bottle inside to the basement, or slightly scalded hands/arms from steam when pulling adding hops etc. to the boil kettle. Pain only no damage.

Having 212 degree worth shooting out of hose that popped out of the brew kettle.

Burns are my most common brewing injuries. So far nothing major. I don't use glass because I find Better Bottles easier to work with. I also know myself. I break stuff, and I don't want to the consequences of breaking a glass one. +vibes to anyone who chooses differently. I'm not one to judge, just know what works for me.

I use glass and never had an infection... Also I've used glass for over a decade... No accidents cuts or abrasions. It's all in how you use it. Glad your ok! Cheers!

I once cut the tip of my finger off trying to adjust my husband's weight bench to a comfortable position so I could watch the boil. Didn't realize the thing inclined to less than horizontal and I got it caught between the metal supports. The few homebrews I had been drinking might have contributed. Cut straight through the bone, just hanging there from a tiny piece of skin. I made him let me finish the boil before driving me to the ER. First and only experience with no chill. :)

I use glass, admittedly for only a couple months now, though. Heh. But I picked glass because of all the obvious benefits. Honestly, as long as you're careful, there should be no real danger. Live and learn. Pretty much all the threads I've seen hating on glass carboys talked about incidents that were the brewer's own fault (no offense intended!).

I have no near death experience. I just have two huge cuts on my fingers from when my airlock shattered/exploded a couple days ago from the airlock being plugged up with yeast. Nothing to really talk about there. I've had much worse experience with my other hobbies (guitars, for example).

I once cut the tip of my finger off trying to adjust my husband's weight bench to a comfortable position so I could watch the boil. Didn't realize the thing inclined to less than horizontal and I got it caught between the metal supports. The few homebrews I had been drinking might have contributed. Cut straight through the bone, just hanging there from a tiny piece of skin. I made him let me finish the boil before driving me to the ER. First and only experience with no chill. :)

Now there's a graphic story! How'd that no-chill batch turn out for ya? :D

So far I've only suffered a few minor burns and some back pain from my brew days. I do treat my glass carboys more carefully after finding the glass horror/gore thread. Transport/aerate in a milk crate, use a pad of some sort when setting down on a hard surface, etc.

I've fermented almost exclusively in glass for more than 18 years without injury. Broke my first one this year, my 16 year old 6 gallon bottle. Not sure how it broke, was just inspecting it before I put wort into it, saw a hairline crack, so put it on the garbage can and smashed it so no one would try to salvage it. So carboys I'm smart enough to be around.

Flame, on the other hand, seems to give my no end of trouble. My worst mishap this year: after circulating PBW through my boil kettle (a keggle) while heating it, I cut the flame, pumped out the PBW, and grabbed the handle with one hand, reached down and grabbed the chine with the other hand. The chine that had just been several hundred degrees. The skin actually made a searing sound.

And although it wasn't a brewing injury, I did have a run in with my left index finger and a hand blender. Nerves still haven't come back...

Not gonna lie, that's badass... My hat is off to you

Worst accident I had involved a cardboard box. I was taking my light-up Xmas deer down from the rafters in my garage and the razor-sharp edge of the box sliced my wrist from one end to the other. It was a really deep cut. Just missed my artery. I had to go the ER and get it stitched up. I'm glad I survived. That would have been an embarrassing way to go.

Worst accident I had involved a cardboard box. I was taking my light-up Xmas deer down from the rafters in my garage and the razor-sharp edge of the box sliced my wrist from one end to the other. It was a really deep cut. Just missed my artery. I had to go the ER and get it stitched up. I'm glad I survived. That would have been an embarrassing way to go.

Congratulation on you new keging setup.:mug:

I use glass carboys with confidence and never had a problem. I have a couple of 54L (14 gal) demijohns that just feel like they're about to explode even when empty. Only used a couple of times, but I think when work slows down it'll be time for those to hit the used classifieds online. Not a fan at all.

Perhaps later on I'll get a couple of plastic big mouths bubblers. I personally really like having a sealed fermentation. Yes, I know that it doesn't matter too much for a primary; but I occasionally leave things in a primary way too long because life gets in the way. Sealing it up is some easy insurance that things will be alright if I accidentally primary 10 weeks. These things happen after all.

Largely underestimated danger factor on those. As a former warehouse employee, some cardboard is damn near as sharp as the box cutter! I'm lost as to the congrats on kegging setup. Just sayin'

I use glass carboys with confidence and never had a problem. I have a couple of 54L (14 gal) demijohns that just feel like they're about to explode even when empty. Only used a couple of times, but I think when work slows down it'll be time for those to hit the used classifieds online. Not a fan at all.

Perhaps later on I'll get a couple of plastic big mouths bubblers. I personally really like having a sealed fermentation. Yes, I know that it doesn't matter too much for a primary; but I occasionally leave things in a primary way too long because life gets in the way. Sealing it up is some easy insurance that things will be alright if I accidentally primary 10 weeks. These things happen after all.

Largely underestimated danger factor on those. As a former warehouse employee, some cardboard is damn near as sharp as the box cutter! I'm lost as to the congrats on kegging setup. Just sayin'

:off:Should have put this up, b-boy won a drawing for a kegging set up, lucky bastard, not looking to derail the thread.

OK, maybe?

I wanted to win, not to keg, but to have a keg for force carbonating ciders, meads and Skeeter Pee after back- sweetening. I sold off all my kegging equipment several years ago, but should have kept one keg...

OMG...that sounds freakin' horrible. In another life I worked night crew for a large supermarket chain throwing freight (stocking shelves to the layfolk out there ;) ). Cardboard cuts can be brutal. Never had one on my wrist like that though.

Congrats on your kegging setup from me too! :mug:

I have a couple glass carboys. Along with a couple BBs.
I mostly ferment in buckets, and use the carboys (glass and plastic) for secondary.
The glass I've used for sours and ciders. I'll use the plastic for wood aging "regular" beers - I haven't don't any fruit other than currents in a sour, so obviously those went into glass.
I have a carboy handle on one of them, I do use it - only when empty, or to tilt the full to get my arm under it to lift, and then steady.
I store the glass in milk crates, leave them in there all the time unless cleaning.
I do have a healthy respect (not to say fear) of those things shattering, as seen in the horror story thread. That;s why I don't use them much.

DAMN! 16 years is impressive. Being clumsy + homebrewing for a hobby makes for more broken hydrometers and snapped airlocks than I care to admit.

Kudos to you

I would have liked to stretch out my winning streak, but at least I didn't put wort in and THEN notice the crack. The bottom would likely have dropped out.

I've lost count of my broken hydrometers, have managed to melt several things including a propane hose. But when I was reading BobbyM's keg polishing thread this morning, I was reminded of my stupidest brewing related injury. I was polishing my keg with an angle grinder, wearing gloves, eye projection, and ear covers, but because the ear covers were messing with my ear buds, I took them off. At some point one of the buds fell out of my ear, got caught around the angle grinder, and became a metal wire weed whacker right at arm's length. Ripped the crap out of my forearms, sent the plug and buds flying at high velocity, one of which cracked my safety lens, and had me standing there in shock for several moments before I could figure out what the hell happened.
And I was stone sober!

My closest was probably having my titled cooler mash tun fall off the table and dump onto the running pump at my feet. It was not gfci protected and the lead cord had no ground. It tripped the breaker pretty quickly though.

btw also a fan of glass, surprised we don't see more glass-lined metal tanks in the beer industry. Or even a pyrex brew kettle with element port.

I was polishing my keg with an angle grinder, wearing gloves, eye projection, and ear covers, but because the ear covers were messing with my ear buds, I took them off. At some point one of the buds fell out of my ear, got caught around the angle grinder, and became a metal wire weed whacker right at arm's length. Ripped the crap out of my forearms, sent the plug and buds flying at high velocity, one of which cracked my safety lens, and had me standing there in shock for several moments before I could figure out what the hell happened.
And I was stone sober!

wow, picturing that in my head. that's a good one!
:mug:

You could get hit and killed by a car while walking down the street. Does that mean we should hide under a rock? Everything has risks, no need to worry about using glass carboys if you're careful with them.

You could get hit and killed by a car while walking down the street. Does that mean we should hide under a rock? Everything has risks, no need to worry about using glass carboys if you're careful with them.

Well, it doesn't mean you should walk down the middle of the highway either.

Just my opinion - use BB or buckets. They are cheap and reliable. If you don't like plastic, use SS. I just don't see a compelling reason to use glass. There are other options.

Again, just my opinion. Do what you want.

Nothing exciting but just built myself an immersion chiller and put it in the boil for the last 15 min. Somehow managed to forget how good of a heat conductor copper is and tried to move the chiller by grabbing the copper sticking out from the edge of the kettle while still boiling...sizzle sizzle :rockin

Back