NC officially bans smoking in bars / restaurants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here bars can and do give booze away its called a buy back and I have received plenty. :)

If you want to open a brewery can you just do it? Same **** different situation If you own a bar you abide by the laws present and future. If the law is oppressive lobby to change it.

I have, thank you very much. I was a supporter of the group that rallied against the DC smoking ban in the early 00's. I have been vocal to my state reps against the ban here in VA.

However, my actions are not relevant to whether this law is justifiable. Nothing irks me more than when supporters of a law use "well, it's the law" as an argument in favor of a law. Talk about circular reasoning!

I normally stay the hell out of these conversations, but I need to make an observation based on some bars here in PA. The vast majority of eateries/public houses in this state are smoke-free, though there are a small percentage that, through some provision under the ban, permit smoking. I'll have to research the specifics.

Glad to see so many voices of reason on this board...not usually the case on other forums (of different topics). It has ALWAYS been about the smell...the whole 'health' angle is merely a justification. And that's what is so sad...that people will be so intrusive towards others just because they are put off by a smell. Just another step in the wussification of the US.

AntiSmoke_Pic.JPG

Smoke em if ya got em.

We seemed to post at the same time; question is, did I blow smoke in your face on the way in?

Heck Yeah.....AHAHAHAHAHA :ban: I actually wanted to sue a guy the other day from his second hand car smoke when I was driving behind him..... but I just decided to move over. Life is to short for that hangup. I'll let the yard NAZI complain.

But that movement worked so well. I mean prohibition was such a success...

the war on drugs, also, has been very effective in keeping people off of drugs.

honestly, with all the nanny-state do-goodery these days, and the complete and utter lack of self-determination and responsibility amongst our lazy, apathetic, wussified populace, I'm surprised that smoking hasn't been banned altogether.

the war on drugs, also, has been very effective in keeping people off of drugs.

honestly, with all the nanny-state do-goodery these days, and the complete and utter lack of self-determination and responsibility amongst our lazy, apathetic, wussified populace, I'm surprised that smoking hasn't been banned altogether.

WHAT???? Smoking isn't banned? Dang and to think I decide to quit Aspirin to help with the War on Drugs. Dang guess I'll go outside and finish off releasing the rest of my CFCS hairspray...

This thread is a troll's wet dream. We have a public smoking ban in place that restricts smoking to any establishment that serves food as a primary income. A class V liquor license means you have the choice to be smoking/non-smoking. I'm a smoker, but I don't have a problem going outside to do it. I do it at home. My favorite bar is strictly non-smoking, but it doesn't bother me a bit.

FYI to the cigar smokers out there. Oak barrel and coffee stouts seem to have more flavor when accompanied with a decent cigar.

I'm surprised that smoking hasn't been banned altogether.

They can't do that they need the money to much to pay for government run programs.

Think there over 6$ a pack here. Never be banned its a cash cow just like booze get them hooked and tax the crap out of them. Wish they would legalize pot the deficit would be gone in a few years....

would you then be able to smoke pot in a bar since its not a tobacco product ?

Think there over 6$ a pack here. Never be banned its a cash cow just like booze get them hooked and tax the crap out of them. Wish they would legalize crack the deficit would be gone in a few years....

would you then be able to smoke crack in a bar since its not a tobacco product ?

AHAHAHAHHHAHAHHA Same dif!:):mad::fro::eek:

Think there over 6$ a pack here. Never be banned its a cash cow just like booze get them hooked and tax the crap out of them. Wish they would legalize pot the deficit would be gone in a few years....

would you then be able to smoke pot in a bar since its not a tobacco product ?

I was in Anchorage last year and had to buy a pack of cigs and it was almost $7! I would be up there for several weeks at a stretch and usually brought a couple of cartons with me...but I had run out the day before I came home. I savored those stale smokes for all they were worth. I wish quitting were easier, even Chantix didn't work.

Also, The Glacier Brewhouse has the best microbrews I have ever tasted. I still have dreams about their imperial blonde. $12 for a full 64oz growler and only $8 to fill it back up. And the absolute best smoked salmon. Period. End of story.

I miss Anchorage.

That cash cow is going to dry up significantly. I know a bunch of people who are quitting because it is straight up too expensive. WI is raising tobacco taxes again by a huge margin for the second time this year.

Great work guys... oh by the way, you still have a MASSIVE deficit because you keep spending like drunken sailors.

That cash cow is going to dry up significantly. I know a bunch of people who are quitting because it is straight up too expensive. WI is raising tobacco taxes again by a huge margin for the second time this year.

Great work guys... oh by the way, you still have a MASSIVE deficit because you keep spending like drunken sailors.

Or people will enter the smuggling business as a way around the taxes. I think I read something about Michigan attempting to tax those who have taken to rolling their own tobacco cig.s.

It's a shame to read about people being duped into thinking this whole smoking ban thing is about their health. It isn't, it's about control. We've been worked into a frenzy about the effects of second hand smoke. While it's unpleasant, it hardly rises to the level of health hazard.

Many Ohio bars are ignoring the recently passed smoking ban. Good for them.

I've been told that there are quite a few places where I live that ignore it completely, with off duty police officers as patrons.

I've been told that there are quite a few places where I live that ignore it completely, with off duty police officers as patrons.

Yep, Same here. Had a beer with a friend/police officer the other week. He was smoking in the bar.:D

Great. Now I have that damn pirate song stuck in my head and have this increasing thirst for rum and smell of sea salt.

YAR

Oregon put in a complete ban this year. I really preferred the old law that allowed placed where kids weren't allowed (bars) to chose. Oddly enough, with the exception of the Horse Brass, every place I was likely to go was smoke-free already. Only real dives were smoking bars.

(HB is a fake British dive, but they serve good beer. Hard to imagine it without the smog.)

Or people will enter the smuggling business as a way around the taxes. I think I read something about Michigan attempting to tax those who have taken to rolling their own tobacco cig.s.

SChip is a Federal/State program and it expanded RYO (Roll Your Own) Federal Excise taxes by something akin to 2200%.

Figure $24 extra in tax for a pound of tobacco.

I just can't fathom the anti-smokers who spout the "your rights stop where mine begin" type sayings. Then they fight to pass a law that changes private establishments.

It's not a government building. They aren't there to take care of you.

If you hated the type of food a restaurant were serving, would you eat there? I know what you'll say, "but it's a health hazard!!" It's only a health hazard to you if you ACTIVELY/VOLUNTARILY walk through the doors. They aren't there to specifically cater to you. Deal with it.

The drunk driving argument bothers me too. The smoke inside the bar is contained inside the bar. If you go into another restaurant 2 miles away, the smoke in the bar isn't bothering you. The smoke is always in the same spot, you know where it is, you know how to avoid it (hint: don't go there). The drunk behind the wheel however, he could be anywhere. He's on your street tonight, tomorrow it might be mine. Yea, he's a safety hazard that can't be controlled, let's work together and get him off the road. These are 2 completely different issues, it's absolutely black and white.

All that being said, I hate cigarette smoke. I'm allergic too it. Makes my eyes water and I get congested. I didn't know it at the time, but my wife was a smoker when we were dating. I've told her many a time, if I had known she was a smoker, I would have dumped her. She knows it's true.

Can't wait until we all get to stand in line at the grocery store to get whatever food the state deems we deserve that day!

SChip is a Federal/State program and it expanded RYO (Roll Your Own) Federal Excise taxes by something akin to 2200%.

2200% OUCH!

Thanks for the correction/info, mmb.

Don't ya just love it when a law gets passed to suit your own interests perfectly? I'm waiting for the law that allows me to shoot kids that get on my fooking lawn.....Do you have kids? :)
Let's see here... you used an ad hominem, non sequitur, hasty generalization, and personal attack in two sentences. And I did not engage anyone here for debate, merely voiced my support of this legislation. This was an interesting topic that has turned into a chest-thumping competition to see who can crow the loudest. Much of this coming from people who don't live here, have no say in electing the state representatives who pass laws, and will not be affected. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Ha...You guys should consider submitting this enlightening conversation piece to Fox News. I'm sure Hannity would do it justice. And, I'd get to laugh my a$$ off at the Daily Show satirical retort. :D

In case you guys are asleep, the government tells us to do all sorts of "backwards" things that encroach on our civil liberties. If you don't agree, express your concerns to your local or state elected official. Otherwise, move on with your life. This thread isn't solving a thing - other than a bunch of people claiming the sky is falling. :rolleyes:

Sheesh, it's cheaper to buy a pound of hops.

Ha...You guys should consider submitting this enlightening conversation piece to Fox News. I'm sure Hannity would do it justice. And, I'd get to laugh my a$$ off at the Daily Show satirical retort. :D

In case you guys are asleep, the government tells us to do all sorts of "backwards" things that encroach on our civil liberties. If you don't agree, express your concerns to your local or state elected official. Otherwise, move on with your life. This thread isn't solving a thing - other than a bunch of people claiming the sky is falling. :rolleyes:

I love it when people roll up into the debate subforum and tell people to stop debating. If you don't like debate, then you can respectfully GTFO of the debate forum. As I said, I have expressed my feelings to my state reps over VA's ban that's set to go into effect in December. Doesn't mean I can't debate it here too.

And in case you haven't noticed, the sky is falling.

Hmmm as of exactly right now the thread is not in th debate forum. I posted this not to debate it ( thought we already did that elsewhere) but to point out the irony in it happening there NC= Tobacco state).

I noticed that you put the thread here. What I don't understand is how you could reasonably expect it not to turn into a debate. Come on, do you know who you're dealing with here? :D

Back