NBA,it's not basketball....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it's just a show. Ever since the Jordan rules, the NBA decided it's all about putting on a show and not playing the game. This morning all the talk is on Kevin Durant and after watching the high lights all I can do is shake my head. Watch Durants last two possessions, the first one he pushes off BIG time to get open, should have been an offensive foul. Then the last one he establishes his left foot as the pivot foot, what does he do next? He steps off with his left foot dribbles around and scores.

http://espn.go.com/nba/

Totally agree. Trouble is some of that stuff has filtered down to the high school level. I cringe every time I see a kid do a "jump stop" then a jump shot. That being said. I still enjoy taking my son to a NBA game now and then.

I got so used to watching NBA games that I thought High School refs do their job horribly. Then I took a much closer look.

I haven't watched NBA in years. Traveling is rampant. Fouls are either not called, or never happened and called.

I agree it's entertainment, but it's also *supposed* to be a game. With rules. To be enforced.

I still enjoy the highlights though...

Used to go to the Blazer games pretty often during the Drexler years, but it's been many years since I've watched a game.

Give me college basketball any day.

Why watch a bunch of overpaid crybaby millionaires that throw themselves at the floor in dramatic fashion any time someone comes close to touching them? It's almost as bad as *gasp* SOCCER these days. At least in college ball the players still have something to prove and look like they're actually trying.

And then there's the WNBA.... good fundamentals or something... I don't know. Sorry, I've never been able to sit through a single game. :eek:

College mens hoops, then high school boys hoops, then junior high hoops, then girl's high school hoops, then women's college hoops, then 10-12 year old rec ball hoops, then my 5 year old trying to dribble a ball with both hands, then NBA followed closely by WNBA.

That is the order in which I am interested in basketball. And I am a huge basketball fan.

Any "sport" where the final score is 102-106 is not a real sport. What exactly is decided by such a score? Is that really a decisive victory? Can you conclusively say one team is clearly better than the other when the scores are in the hundreds, and literally separated by 2 or 3 points?

Any "sport" where the final score is 102-106 is not a real sport. What exactly is decided by such a score? Is that really a decisive victory? Can you conclusively say one team is clearly better than the other when the scores are in the hundreds, and literally separated by 2 or 3 points?

But the same can be said about soccer or hockey. Is one team really better than the other when they played for 2-3 hours, one team got a lucky bounce and won 1-0 or 2-1?

But the same can be said about soccer or hockey. Is one team really better than the other when they played for 2-3 hours, one team got a lucky bounce and won 1-0 or 2-1?

I'd say so, yes. In the case of hockey, they scored 33% or 50% more goals than the other team. In basketball, however, their scoring ability was only separated by 2%.

I'd say so, yes. In the case of hockey, they scored 33% or 50% more goals than the other team. In basketball, however, their scoring ability was only separated by 2%.

2-1 could be one lucky bounce of the puck. I don't care that it is 100% more than the other team. It could very well be pure luck.

EDIT: and I do not feel this way about hockey but feel it is as valid as saying "one basketball team only outscored the other by 5% which doesn't prove they are better".

KD had more success in his first 23 years of life than any of us will ever achieve in our entire lives.

why are homebrewers so "jelly" all the time?

I stopped watching after the 1998 lockout.

My opinion: it's not a sport anymore. It's two steps short of being scripted pro wrestling.

Why watch a bunch of overpaid crybaby millionaires that throw themselves at the floor in dramatic fashion any time someone comes close to touching them? It's almost as bad as *gasp* SOCCER these days.

Q: What's the difference between men's and women's soccer?

A: In women's soccer, the players aren't a bunch of whiny bitches...

College mens hoops, then high school boys hoops, then junior high hoops, then girl's high school hoops, then women's college hoops, then 10-12 year old rec ball hoops, then my 5 year old trying to dribble a ball with both hands, then NBA followed closely by WNBA.

That is the order in which I am interested in basketball. And I am a huge basketball fan.

Same here. Minus the part about being a basketball fan.

Back