NB White House Honey Porter Kit Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankyT

Reaction score
This was my second time brewing with extract (have made many all-grain batches), first time was the other White House Honey kit from Northern Brewer. That one turned out exactly right but the porter did not come out to be porter at all. I kind of expected that it wasn't going to be as dark as a porter should be when I was brewing, but it's about as dark as newcastle or ESB.

Just took my FG and it's 1.010, but it tastes and looks more like an ESB than a porter. The steeping grain in the kit was probably a month to two months old but that shouldn't affect color right? (Especially this much.) Any ideas of what could have happened? I followed directions, steeped grain for 20 minutes (though I don't know if I got it all the way up to 170), and even squeezed the hell out of the bag to try to get everything out because it wasn't dark like a porter and I was hoping to get as much color out of the grain.

I doubt NB gets the kits wrong often, so I'm guessing I did something wrong or ingredients were old. The beer actually tastes great, so I'm not worried about that, just worried about what could have gone wrong.

Thanks!

I brewed the Irish Red from NB last Tuesday and I had the same issue. The beer in the fermenter looks brownish and murky. I'm not too worried though, beer seems to be fermenting well and is making my Cool Brew bag smell awesome.

I steeped until exactly 170* (about 30 mins), used late extract addition (2 lbs then 4 lbs at 15 mins) and brewed using 3 gallons of water instead of the 2.5 the directions call for. Hit my OG on the nose at 1.044. I'm not sure what could cause the lack of color, my guess would be something related to the seeping grains.

Interesting - that's exactly what mine is like. Makes me feel slightly better but I would still love to know what the issue was. How old was your kit/grains? I wonder if it has to do with the grain being old (as mine definitely was).

And as you said, my OG and FG are spot on. It smells great (and tastes great too), but it's not porter like at all. Something definitely off with the steeping grain, but I assumed I must have done something wrong. The bag of crushed grain definitely had some dark malt, probably chocolate malt, but I dunno.

This was my second time brewing with extract (have made many all-grain batches), first time was the other White House Honey kit from Northern Brewer. That one turned out exactly right but the porter did not come out to be porter at all. I kind of expected that it wasn't going to be as dark as a porter should be when I was brewing, but it's about as dark as newcastle or ESB.

Just took my FG and it's 1.010, but it tastes and looks more like an ESB than a porter. The steeping grain in the kit was probably a month to two months old but that shouldn't affect color right? (Especially this much.) Any ideas of what could have happened? I followed directions, steeped grain for 20 minutes (though I don't know if I got it all the way up to 170), and even squeezed the hell out of the bag to try to get everything out because it wasn't dark like a porter and I was hoping to get as much color out of the grain.

I doubt NB gets the kits wrong often, so I'm guessing I did something wrong or ingredients were old. The beer actually tastes great, so I'm not worried about that, just worried about what could have gone wrong.

Thanks!

According to BJCP rules, a porter can have an SRM of 20 to 30 while a brown ale ranges from 12 to 25. That's a lot of overlap.

Did not realize there was quite that big of a range. Well either way, it's more of a 15-20, than 20-30. And the pictures I've seen of the WH porter from the kit look more like 25-30.

I'd be less concerned with the color if the flavor didn't match as well. There is no discernible roasty, dark fruit, porter flavor characteristics like the reviews I've read have.

Did not realize there was quite that big of a range. Well either way, it's more of a 15-20, than 20-30. And the pictures I've seen of the WH porter from the kit look more like 25-30.

I'd be less concerned with the color if the flavor didn't match as well. There is no discernible roasty, dark fruit, porter flavor characteristics like the reviews I've read have.

Nothing you have said has ruled out a mistake on Northern Brewer's part. I don't think that their kit making process is so automated that a mistake couldn't be made. Here's a phone number that they have on their website that claims "live chat". Why not call and see if they did make a mistake on your kit. 1-800-681-2739

Nothing you have said has ruled out a mistake on Northern Brewer's part. I don't think that their kit making process is so automated that a mistake couldn't be made. Here's a phone number that they have on their website that claims "live chat". Why not call and see if they did make a mistake on your kit. 1-800-681-2739

Thanks man! I definitely will

Interesting - that's exactly what mine is like. Makes me feel slightly better but I would still love to know what the issue was. How old was your kit/grains? I wonder if it has to do with the grain being old (as mine definitely was).

And as you said, my OG and FG are spot on. It smells great (and tastes great too), but it's not porter like at all. Something definitely off with the steeping grain, but I assumed I must have done something wrong. The bag of crushed grain definitely had some dark malt, probably chocolate malt, but I dunno.

I am not sure in how old the grains were. I had just bottles an American wheat from NB and just got brewing without checking any dates on packaging. I trust NB though, all my dealings with them in my short time brewing a have been great.

I am racking to a secondary (I know not necessary but I like doing and learning) tonight since I hit my FG, I wonder if the color can change when the yeast starts to fall? I am also moving the secondary out of the Cool Brew (~58-63) to the closet which sits at around 65-70 so the yeast can clean up.

Latest posts

Back