Nb old no 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
A few ? about this kit( http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/northern-no-1-limited-edition-all-grain-kit.html ) I have ordered it for my new yews brew and getting ready for it. I will be making my first starter (OG 1.114) do not have a stir plate. With 18 lbs of grain should I do 2 sparges I have a 10 gallon gott cooler set up for the mash and am worried about space. if I get to much wort I can boil till I get to pre boil volume before I start my timer and what does add hops at 0 minutes is this in the fermentor?

I picked up there innkeeper ale from the same limited addition kits and it was really nice as all of there stuff is.

if you have the abilty to i would try and do all the grain in one batch. If you get to much wort you can just boil longer to get to were u need to be to start adding hops. Adding hops at the 0 min to me is when the time goes off u add the hops then turn off the heat and get ready to chill.

If I was doing that kit, I'd do it as so:

22.5 quarts water (1.25 quarts per pound of grain) in the mash.

That will give you 3.3 gallons out of the mash.

I'd then sparge with 4 gallons total. It would be hard to divide that up into two sparges with only two gallons in each for 18 pounds of grain, though, so you may have to do it in one sparge.

This assumes your boil volume is 7ish gallons.

Make sure you make a BIG yeast starter. HUGE! You want to pitch enough yeast to get that monster to finish, as well as not stress the yeast.

The 0 minute additions, the hops and the corn sugar, go in at flame out before chilling.

bottled this on 2-9-11 can not wait to get to the 3 month test date to see how it is developing

Back