NB Kit for my birthday, need to beef it up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I got this kit for my birthday, which is actually similar to what I wanted to brew for St Patrick's day. I want to get rid of the honey and maintain the OG with other ingredients I have. Would you add more 2row, Vienna, Black Patent or Crystal 40?

6.5 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lbs. Honey
0.5 lbs. Caramalt
0.25 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

Boil Additions
1 oz. Challenger (60 min)

Yeast
Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast

Two row would be the closest replacement for the honey. Why do you want to ditch the honey? 1 pound isn't going to be detectable at all and is just going to turn into alcohol. Actually the best replacement I could think of is a pound of dextrose.

Bobby_M said:
Two row would be the closest replacement for the honey. Why do you want to ditch the honey? 1 pound isn't going to be detectable at all and is just going to turn into alcohol. Actually the best replacement I could think of is a pound of dextrose.

I am just opposed to honey because I don't want plain old alcohol boost. I'd rather have some body come with the alcohol. Here's what I've changed it to, tentatively...

6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.22 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.25 lb Oats, Malted (8.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.75 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
0.25 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 5.56 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

Vienna & Dextrine are good choices to add body and more of a malt backbone. I wouldn't add the brown sugar, though.

Back