NB instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
So, I understand that most of the brew kit instructions (brewers best, true brew, etc.) are lacking. Boggles the mind, since it seems like it would take minimal time, on a one time effort, to really make them really good, and turn more people on to brewing. Specifically, they usually undercut the amount of time to leave it in primary, etc.
But I have ordered a couple of Northern Brewers kits. They seem to know what they are doing. Can I follow pretty closely how long they say to leave it in primary, or do I still need to mentally add 2 weeks onto each step?

I think it depends on what your brewing. I have an imperial stout that I brewed 11-28-14 that went in the bottle 3 weeks ago and won't be tried til at least April.
I brewed an IPA that spent 14 days in the primary and was carbed, delicious and got great reviews after less than 2 weeks in the bottle.

Here's a simple way that I've learned how to do extract.

Put roughly 3 or 3.5 gallons of water in a brew pot.

Get temperature up to 150 and keep between 150 and 160 (you will need a thermometer)

Steep grains for 20-30 minutes.

Bring pot to a boil then remove from heat.

Add LME or DME and stir.

Then bring back to boil and add your bittering (60 min) hops.

Then add other hop additions according to your recipe.

Extract is so simple. Ferment as long as you like. I go 2 weeks and take no hydro readings as long as room temps are above 62. Use a hydrometer to be safe if you're worried.

The only thing that can change any given recipe (for the most part) is adding more water for the initial boil. The more water for the 60 minute hop addition is going to give more bitterness to your beer.

The directions are just basic, designed around the equipment kits and to take as much thinking out of it as possible so to not scare new Brewers off.

It's like recipes in a cookbook- after you've done it a time or two you usually find techniques to suit you better.

I agree that Northern Brewer's instructions are good.
So are Austin Homebrew Service, Maltose Express and Xtreme Brewing.
These are the only four companies from which I have ordered kits.

Thanks all. I guess my question more is - when brewers best says "primary for 2 weeks", everyone seems to say "no, primary for at least 3-4 weeks". When northern brewers instructions say "primary for 2 weeks" can I follow that, or do I still add a couple of weeks to that before bottling.

How people answer that question might also depend on what the NB instructions say about secondary time. I have found that NB instructions are conservative as in, they don't seem to be in a hurry to get you to bottling day. E.g. their pliny clone has you primary for two weeks then secondary for 2-4 weeks IIRC. I emailed them about this because I didn't want to secondary and they advised approximately 3.5 weeks total in primary before bottling. Is there a specific recipe you are wondering about at the moment?

It's not that critical on how long the beer is left in the primary. Certain beers need to be aged a little bit longer.

I put a Kolsch in the keg last night after being in the primary for over a month. That was only because I didn't have room in the keezer. On the other hand I have a barley wine sitting in a secondary for about 2 or 3 months. It'll sit in there at least another 2-3 months.

It's really whatever you want.

I was a lot like you and wanted specifics but it's not that critical. I found too that after putting priming sugar in with a beer to bottle it, and if I opened it early there was some kind of a 'green' flavor. It happened every time no matter how long I kept a beer in primary or secondary.

Back