NB Innkeeper AG kit - how much water to mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
I am going to brew this tomorrow. The recipe I have shows there just being 5.25lbs of grain. How do I mash this - should I still go with the 1.25 quart per pound? If so that is only going to be about 1.5 gallons. I was thinking of upping it to about 3 gallons, so that my first and second running's are more closely matched.

I have never brewed a beer with such little quantity of grain before.

Any thoughts?

Mash and sparge with whatever ratios you usually use. You can always add any extra water directly to the kettle to hit your pre-boil volume.

haha it must be nice to have so much free space in your mlt. I am brewing the bourbon barrel porter and will barely have enough room in my 10 igloo to do a 10g. batch of it.

Let us know how that bitter turns out, I have been eyeing up that recipe.

I looked up the recipe and it say 6.25 lbs and I calculated a mash thickness of 1.5q per lb and with grain absorption you will need about 3 gallons of water

Yeah it used to be 5.25lbs of grain, then they recently updated the recipe to 6.25lbs - extra lb of golden promise.

I think it might be a little watery but I will give it a shot and report back the results.

Back