NB Hoptoberfest take

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverme

Reaction score
The weather has finally chilled out a bit down here in the South so back to brewing. Unfortunately I lost all my recipes and records this summer. (Not to self put everything on a back up disk)

Anyway I'm looking to make a 10 gal batch of New Belgium's Hoptoberfest.

According to their website profile, it's two-row, wheat, rye and flaked oats for malt bill. For hops, Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Willamette and Glacier.

I'm thinking something like:

59% 10 lb American Two-row Pale
24% 4 lb American Wheat
12% 2 lb Rye Malt
6% 1 lb Flaked Oats

Total 17 lb bill--I dunno looks kinda funny for a 10 gal batch--

Hop:

1 oz. Glacier 5.5% @ 60 min
1 oz Willamette 5.5% @ 45
1 oz Sterling 6.3% @ 30 min
.75 oz Centennial 10% @ 15 min
.75 oz Cascade 6.6% @ 5 min

.25 oz Centennial Dry hop
.25 oz Cascade Dry hop

Yeast I will need help with either Wyeast 3522, Safbrew T-58 or go clean with (WLP-001, US-05, etc)

Mash @ 151F

Ferment @ 68F

I'm just ready to start brewing again!

Let me know what ya think

i'd back down on the wheat a tad, maybe to 15-20%, I don't recall that beer having that much of a wheaty body. i think the rye and oat %'s look good though. hopwise, i'd up the total amount of dry hop to 1 oz, so 1/2 of each of those you listed. and i would go for 1056 or 001 for this beer, make it clean and let the hops and malts/grains shine through.

It's been since last year since I've had it, but I don't remember cent and cascade being the focus. I think glacier and sterling are more in the foreground. I don't think I would add a 45 minute addition either. I need to pick some up to try again. I remember really digging this beer — much more than ranger.

Thanks guys, I will make the adjustments and post them. Plan on brewing this next Saturday so I will post the final outcome as well.

Back