NB Caribou Slobber gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAmike

Reaction score
I brewed my Caribou Slobber kit on 12-22-12 and my starting gravity was 1.058 I took a gravity reading today and it was 1.026 is this sounding normal? I plan to take a reading every day till I get the same reading 3 days in a row. I put the beer from the reading in a glass and it is damn good.

Extract or all grain? Extract batches sometimes finish at a higher FG than grain batches. I did an extract batch in Oct that finished at 1.019 the beer came out great. The finish was in the range I expected based on the yeast I used and expected attenuation. I'd give it until 3 weeks then take a reading, wait and take another in 2-3 days. Also make sure you're fermenting in the recommended temp range for the yeast you used. If it gets too cold, fermentation may take longer.

I came in at 8.2 Brix finish. Pretty sure I nailed OG, so that put me at 1.020 FG with rounding.

I brewed my Caribou Slobber kit on 12-22-12 and my starting gravity was 1.058 I took a gravity reading today and it was 1.026 is this sounding normal? I plan to take a reading every day till I get the same reading 3 days in a row. I put the beer from the reading in a glass and it is damn good.

You might want to look into a refractometer if you're going to test most batches every day. Assuming you pick one up on eBay for $18, a 5-gal batch costs you $40 to make, and a sample takes 3 fl oz, it'll pay off in materials savings along in under 100 samplings.

I've heard stories of a lot of extract batches finishing at 1.020. There is some sort of phenomenon regarding it, may very well have to do with boiling the extract causing the wort to carmelize and leave more unfermentable sugars. However, 1.026 seems pretty darn high for an OG of 1.058 (that's like 55% attenuation). Either way, having consistent gravity readings over the course of 3 or more days shows that no more activity is taking place and at that point it should be safe to bottle.

I just brewed the slobber three days ago, I'll let you fellows know what I come up with over the next couple of weeks. Very excited about this brew with all these good reviews.

All Grain
OG 1.055
FG 1.010
American Ale II

Found a few 6 month old bottles the other day. Drank three in a row. Good kit, goes down easy. One bottle left.

Mine was an extract kit. 4 weeks in Primary. Kegged it last week. FG of 1.012. Tasted delicious. Had a 3 oz sample tonight to test the carbonation. Almost there. Wyeast 1332, the one that NB recommended. No starter used.

Latest posts

Back