Natural Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
I just picked up some raw unfiltered honey. I was planning on adding about 15 lbs to water to make a mead. I'm under the impression that honey contains naturally occurring yeasts, and my plan was to just combine, aerate, and let the natural yeasts take over?

Will this yield a successful mead? Any advice or can you point me to a thread that discusses this?

As a side note, I'd like to add lavender to the secondary. Does anyone know of a good place to get bulk lavender?

Thanks!

and my plan was to just combine, aerate, and let the natural yeasts take over?

Will this yield a successful mead?

Maybe. Probably not. If you don't want to risk wasting your honey, buy some wine yeast and pitch it. A packet of yeast costs like $1. If you want to try a science experiment, try the natural yeasts.

As a side note, I'd like to add lavender to the secondary. Does anyone know of a good place to get bulk lavender?

Thanks!

I get mine from my garden. :) But it's not difficult to find local herb shops either, just google it. Worst case scenario go to the grocery store and in the natural foods section you can find all kinds of tea. Lavendar tea is very common. Buy a couple boxes and steep it for 10-20 minutes in hot water, then cool and add to secondary.

once i get me bees i want to try a "natural" mead. If only to learn what to do if commercial yeast ever runs out.

the problem with wild yeast is you never know what your going to wind up with. could be good one time but you may never be able to duplicate it if you like the results. on the other hand you may not get any good results and wind up with a lot of money down the drain. i dont know what you paid but my honey wasnt cheap i'd hate to risk it

Back