Natural Gas Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellecitybrewer

Reaction score
Im finishing up my single tier stand with three 23-jet natural gas burners. I have a 3/4 inch natural gas line run into my garage, where i will be brewing. Here are my questions. I need a flexible hose to go from my hard line pipe to the brewstand itself. Any suggestions? The other question is what diameter pipe should i make the plumbing on the stand be? Should it be 3/8 or 3/4? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, the more i look at it, im probably gonna go 3/8 plumbing on the rig itself and use a hose disconnect like that companies...

I think you should defiantly go with 1/2" on the brew stand
not totally sure what the burners actually require but as they have a 1/2" npt fitting going into them it only seems right to keep that the minimum size.
I have both the 23 tip and 10 tip burners on my Brew stand and I use 1/2" pipe for the brew stand reducing to 3/8" at the 10 tip burners. I also use a 5/8" flex SS coated hose from the 3/4" main pipe to the brew stand

I think you should defiantly go with 1/2" on the brew stand
not totally sure what the burners actually require but as they have a 1/2" npt fitting going into them it only seems right to keep that the minimum size.
I have both the 23 tip and 10 tip burners on my Brew stand and I use 1/2" pipe for the brew stand reducing to 3/8" at the 10 tip burners. I also use a 5/8" flex SS coated hose from the 3/4" main pipe to the brew stand

Where can I find a long 5/8" flex SS coated hose?

I was thinking of hooking into my natural gas line in the garage. My water heater is there. Or maybe that is not even a possibility?

I got mine at a local hard ware store
It's only 4' though max
Home depot sells it but not sure of there lengths and it's just for high btu water heaters.
It would probably be easier to T into the pipe and extend the pipe to where you need it rather than using a long flexible hose. just don't forget a drop before your brewframe to catch any crap in the pipe
I was lucky enough to have a 3/4" pipe not to far from where I wanted it. I just extended the pipe a little added a drop and a valve.

I second (third?) the 1/2" on the stand. I would advise against using something meant for a grill; a grill is probably not rated to nearly the 100k btu that the 23 tip burner is rated at.

The coated flex lines available to the layman max out at 48" (law). On the package there are btu ratings for the different sizes. The flex you purchase must meet or exceed the btu rating of the appliance. I also have my suspicions (and I don't know if this situation applies to you) that if you want to use multiple burners, your feed lines need to be sized appropriately. I.e., if 2 23-tip burners were used, a flex line rated for 100k btu wouldn't be sufficient. And, none of these things, I believe, are safety issues but rather pressure issues.

</my $.02>

Yeah, I just checked last night and I have a 1" natural gas line ran out to the garage, so i think I'll bush it down to 1/2" and go with 1/2" plumbing on my stand. I thought that the 23 jet has a 3/8" thread on it, but since I now know that it's 1/2", my decision has been made for me...I am also planning on blocking off my burners down to 10 tips each. From what I've heard, 23 tips is wayyyy overkill. Another thing, I don't plan on firing all three burners at the same time. Maybe two at a time while direct firing the mash and heating sparge water or while boiling one batch while starting another right behind it. Am I wrong here? Does anyone have to fire all three regularly?

I sometimes run all 3 burners at once when I'm doing back-to-back batches. (mine are the 10 tip jet burners).

Just run 1/2" on everything on the stand and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back