natural carbonation in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78kombi

Reaction score
Well, heres a positive for natural carbonation.
Since i got my keg setup, of course i have been just as impatient as before, and would force carb and be consuming in 3 days .
BUT!, I brewed my CHristmas Ale in June. and its been in a keg since, so tonite I was curious.
I dragged out the keg from under the workbench in the shop and cleared off some spiderwebs.Grabbed a hose and tap thats been filled with onestep solution plugged it to the keg and cleared the line into a pint glass.
First i notice that there was way more pressure than the 15lbs I put in there in June. I tossed the contents of the glass out the back door onto the grass.and poured a half pint for tasting.
OK here is the massive difference.it is smooth and creamy. Not the usual harsh bubbly carbonation like store brands or force kegging.
I did not add any primer sugar. But im sure it is the T-58 Belgian yeast that made it so..+1 for Natty Carb in the Keg. This beer will be AMAZING in December..Joe

I am a huge advocate for natural carbonation. I carbonate before I even transfer to my serving keg. I have a write-up in my signature about pressure fermentation, but aside from that I would move my beer to a keg before it was finished to get a natural carbonation sans priming a keg. Funny enough, I would still advise priming a keg over force carbonating as well, lol. I haven't force carbonated a beer in years. I haven't bottled in over 10 years. Kegs... you gotta love em'!

I have had good luck with natural carbing, but I prefer force carbing. You get less sediment and you can dial in the pressure exactly. I only do the set and forget method though and my beer sits at serving pressure/temp for about a month so it's nice and clear and perfectly carbed.

Mike

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I never tried it before, always force carbonated corneys, but I have to say that naturally carbonated beer from bottles is smoother in taste.
Now about the sediment, which I also get when force carbing, isn't there something I could do about it? How about cutting let's say 1/4 of an inch of the out tube? Or maybe adding an "U" at the end of the tube, so the sediment would stay on the bottom of the corney? I just wonder if anybody tried something like that.

You must remember that you are comparing a 3 day force carbonation method versus a beer sitting since June. If you force carbonate for 3-4 weeks I bet you would see a similar improvement.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Force carb a keg, then let it sit for 4 months before you attribute natural carb as the reason it's better. Just because a CO2 bottle CAN carb in a day doesn't mean you should drink it sooner.

I usually brew 10 to 12 gallon batches. I put one keg on air in the kegerator and prime the rest and keg another five gallons and bottle the remainder.
I've noticed the naturally carbonated keg holds it's head better.

I really want to naturally carb a beer in a keg, but im so damn impatient! One of these days I will do it.... maybe. But all I have heard are good things about it soooo, congrats man, sounds like you got a killer beer!

Back